Chapter 33

She could smell his lotion. She was sure he could smell hers too. Their distance apart was like a door handle on a door. Her back was already on the door so she couldn't move. He slowly moved his face towards her and did what she least expected. He hugged her. Her eyes widened as her heart began to beat fast.

For a brief moment, he just held her and took deep breaths as if taking in her scent. He slowly reached behind her and pushed the door behind her open. She blinked twice as he let her go. He slowly moved away from her. She turned and ran out the door.

Damien inhaled deeply as he held his chest. His heart was beating fast and he hoped she hadn't noticed. Now he felt it. He knew what he wanted to know now. He couldn't fall for October Obiakor; Not again.

**********

October came to a halt beside a tree. She was breathing hard. She wiped away the beads of sweat on her forehead. She looked at her sweaty tank top and sighed. Jogging was her way of relieving stress, but it made her look like she had run a marathon.

What was wrong with her?

She wasn't sure what exactly. She was thinking of both Ebube and Damien. She was angry and confused. What was that all about with Damien? How could he do that to her?

And as for Ebube, she had finally accepted the fact that he was with Stephanie now. Since he couldn't be a man,he deserved whatever he got. He was not happy with Stephanie.

She snapped out of her thoughts when she heard the ringtone of her cellphone. She took it out of her pocket and answered immediately when she saw the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"O.C, I saw your performance on the runway. You were wonderful." Adesuwa said from the other end of the line.

"Mummy, you weren't even there, but thank you." October laughed.

"I was. I left early because of work." Adesuwa said.

"You seriously came?" October asked.

"Mm-mhn. Jamb question." Another voice spoke.

"I'm serious." Adesuwa answered.

"Thank you for coming. How are the boys?" October asked.

"Which boys?" The other voice spoke again.

"Who's that one?" October asked, finally giving attention to the other 'mother' that had been giving side remarks.

"Your godfather, Geoffrey." Lawrence answered.

"Amebo. Mummy, why did you put me on loudspeaker? Lawrence, must you stick your nose in everything? What are you doing there?" October asked.

"Well, I was here before she called you so I was here first. Also, I am holding up her phone so she can talk to you, genius." Lawrence said.

Adesuwa just left the two of them to bicker.

"She has hands."

"Which are busy right now." Lawrence rolled his eyes.

"I'm braiding his hair." Adesuwa laughed.

"Isn't he seventeen now? He can go to a salon." October started walking home.

"You know that since he turned six, he stopped allowing barbers or hairdressers cut or braid his hair. I have the burden of braiding it everytime." Adesuwa said.

"It's because she is the woman I love and cherish. All you others are counterfeit." Lawrence said.

"So you don't love me, eh?" October asked.

"Don't ask me, you know your answer." Lawrence shrugged. October's mouth dropped open.

"You better go shave that hair and look responsible like Leslie and Aaron. I'll shave your hair in your sleep one day. Young thug."
October scoffed as she walked into her compound.

"Do you not know Young thug is an artist? Was that supposed to be a comeback?"

"Where is Leslie anyways?"

"Basketball practice." Lawrence answered. There were some sounds at the background and October guessed her mother was done.

"Now, I'm leaving you people to talk about your women stuff." Lawrence said.

"Mummy?" October called after a few seconds, when she was sure Lawrence had left.

"Yeah?" Adesuwa answered.

"How is home? How is everyone?" October asked.
Adesuwa understood what she meant by 'everyone'.

"He's fine. He's preparing Aaron for Anne." Adesuwa answered.

"I heard from Aaron." October said.

"So how is work?"

"Interesting."

"Are you sure it's convenient for you? With Damien there and...."

"He can try but he won't get rid of me. That makes it interesting. Don't worry. Everything is okay." October said.

"You know you can come to me when you have any problems."
Adesuwa said as October moved to her fridge.

"I'm a lady now mum, I can take care of myself."

Adesuwa sighed.
"Go to church tomorrow."

"You  know I don't joke with Church." October smiled.

"Take good care of yourself and eat well."

October giggled and said her goodbye before she cut the call.

A/N:

Hi. Heya. Hello
Enjoy!