Chapter 31

"He left?" Chizoba asked Mary as she turned away from her counter in the lobby of the hotel.

"Such a coward."She shook her head and looked at Mary.
"If you ever see Lawrence Obiakor come in here again, please alert me first."

"Why is that?"The both of them turned to look at the boy standing beside Chizoba.

"Leslie?" Chizoba asked, staring at him with an eyebrow raised.

"It's been months." Leslie drew Chizoba into a hug. Chizoba was surprised that he actually hugged her. "Superwoman." He let her go and examined her.

"Did you really have to remind me?" Chizoba covered her face. "Everybody tells me that."

"You still can't remember?" Leslie asked as they now walked towards the entrance door to go outside.

"I can't imagine myself beating up someone." Chizoba laughed."Lawrence for that matter. But I think I remember you. You always tried to share your lunch with me, right?" Chizoba asked. They were now outside.

Leslie sat on one of the stools of the man making suya there.

"Umm..you can't really sit there if you're not buying anything." Chizoba told him.

"Oh, don't worry. I'm buying something. He's preparing it." Leslie smiled.

"Oh." Chizoba nodded. He pulled her to sit on the other stool.

"So do you remember anything else from when you were younger?" Leslie asked.

"Just flashes." She replied.

"I heard you are applying for our school."

"Yeah." Chizoba answered.

"Don't worry about Lawrence. I'll protect you from him. It's obvious you don't remember your ninja skills." He joked.

"What was once there, will remain there. If he tries me, I can still beat him." Chizoba bragged.

"If you remember anything though, I should be the first one to know." He ruffled her packed hair before he stood up and turned to the suya man.

"I would like my order now, please." He smiled. The suya man smiled at him too, ignoring all his other customers. He brought out two big nylon bags and gave them to Leslie.

"Thank you." Lawrence dropped some notes on the table and passed one of the nylon bags to Chizoba. Chizoba scanned the money on the table. That would be like fifteen thousand naira. She stared at him in disbelief.

"Enjoy." He winked before he walked away. Chizoba looked from the nylon bag, to him and slowly whispered,

Lord, please test me with this kind of wealth,let me know if I have sense

*********

There was a round of applause as October and Damien made their way backstage,the last on the line of men and ladies,with her arm in his. She drew her hand away the moment they walked backstage. Her ankles were aching. She needed to change. Ayomide had climbed the stage by now to give her speech.

The models all dispatched when they got to the front of the male and female dressing rooms.

"October!"

October recognised the voice instantly but didn't answer. As she made a move to go into the dressing room, someone grabbed her hand. October turned and drew her hand away from Ebube's hold immediately.

"What?" October asked. "Why are you here?"

"I came to see you." Ebube answered.

"For?" She asked and scoffed. "Sorry, I don't have the time to talk to you. You're not even supposed to be backstage." She turned to go but he drew her back and hugged her.

At first, she was shocked but she got past that and pulled away from him.

"Leave, now." She held her tears. "Your girlfriend is around here somewhere, so I need you to leave."

"I just wanted to see..."

"And I don't want to hear anything you have to say." She said through gritted teeth. "Get out." She slightly pushed him.

"O.C....."He started.

"Don't you dare call me that. You're no longer an important person in my life. You have no reason to call me that." She warned.

He sighed.
"I want you to understand why I left y...."

Did he really want to tell her that now, after he left her?

"There's nothing to understand. We were in a relationship for three years. We got engaged. It's now over. You chose her. The story ends."

"October." He paused. "I'm sorry."

"Are you already tired of her? What do you want me to do? Become your second wife?" She scoffed. People were turning to look now. They were causing a scene.

"Babe?"

October almost hissed as Stephanie walked over to where they were.

"What's going on here?" She asked Ebube. He didn't even look at her. "Is she harassing you?" She eyed October. He didn't answer her. He just stared at October. It was like the two of them were communicating only with staring at each other. 

"Why don't you just leave him alone?" Stephanie turned to look at October. "What's your problem?"

"Ask him." October scoffed and walked away. She noticed Damien standing in front of the men's dressing room, leaning on the door. Had he seen everything?

A/N

Sorry for the long wait.😘