An Old Reminder

NOTICE: I'M STARTING A BURNOUT STORY. MEANING A SHORT STORY WHERE I ONLY FOCUS ON THAT STORY FOR THE TEN OR SO CHAPTERS OF IT. STARTING AFTER THIS. OR MAYBE AFTER I DO A CHAPTER OF "THE BLACK MAIDEN." 

I don't understand. I'm at a complete loss for words. Why? Why is this happening to me? Wait - he's talking. I should probably listen in. 

I got over my shock and tuned in to what was being said. Let me note that our 'huntsman' has appeared and let's just say he's the last person I'd expect. 

"Professor Oobleck?" Weiss asked in disbelief.

"Yes, I'm afraid those bags won't be necessary, girls, seeing as you've opted to shadow a huntsman on what is now essentially a reconnaissance mission. I can assure you, we will not be establishing a single base of operations; rather, we will be traversing several miles of hazardous wasteland and making camp in any defendable locations we may stumble upon. I packed all of our essentials myself, plotted the air course, and readied the airship. And-" he zoomed up right into Weiss's face- "It's Doctor Oobleck. I didn't earn the Ph.D. for fun, thank you very much!"

"Uh . . ." Weiss started, inching away from the professor. He, however, shot back several feet and addressed all of us.

"Come now, children! According to my schedule, we are already three minutes behind - schedule!"

Before anyone was able to respond, he had already broken the sound barrier and arrived at the bullhead. 

This is going to be one helluva ride, though I'm kind of surprised. What he described sounds a lot like a military operation. I wouldn't have a problem with that, only before it was people we were shooting, not monsters. What fun. 

"Well, alright then! Looks like we're going to save the world with Doctor Oobleck- okay yeah when you say it out loud it sounds worse." Ruby grimaced. Though I think we all were. Even so, I knew better than to judge someone's combat expertise simply by appearance.  

"Save the world?!"

They and I turn around to see team JNPR approaching us, Nora, as per usual, acting dramatically. "You're going on world-saving missions without us?!" The ginger flung her arms about in assumingly mock upset. "I'm hurt! Sad! Maybe a little hungry-" a low growl was heard- "that last one's not your fault though, Ren!" She looked at her partner with a glare, him responding only by turning away with his arms crossed.  

"Sounds exciting!" Jaune started. "'Where ya going?"

"Oh, just outside the kingdom," Ruby said. 

"Hey! So are we!" Nora said in a giddy voice.

"Ren and Nora wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village." Pyrrha clarified, putting her hands on her hips. 

"We set out tomorrow." Ren nodded to us. 

"Then you can party with us tonight!" 

Walking over and standing between the teams came Sun and Neptune, the latter being the speaker. "We're shadowing a crime specialist. All inner city detective stuff." The blue haired boy looked slyly to his partner. "We get junior badges!"

Jaune found this to be somewhat amazing if his gasping and hands cupped on his cheeks was anything to go by. 

"We normally go to the city with you guys," Sun started, pointing at us with both hands, "which means stuff's always exploding and junk. So we thought this might be a better way to check out the kingdom when it's, you know, normal?" 

I decided to make my voice known.

"Well, just a word of advice to you two: their pants aren't falling down; they're that low on purpose." Everyone looked at me weirdly before we heard Oobleck from the VTOL.