A Dusty Old Somewhat Hostile Crow

Is it just me or does this story feel a bit off? Writing the main character for whatever reason feels different than it did last year. I kinda feel like I'm doing it wrong, like that smartass edge isn't as pronounced as it used to be. I don't know. What do you think?

     "And you're sure?" Cinder paced back and forth before the one she questioned, waiting expectantly for an answer. 

     "Y-Yes. Badhairusedascytheandsmelledlikemydadafteralongday!" Mercury nearly shouted, breathing like he had just run a lap and clenching his fists repeatedly. 

     "Dammit, Merc!" Emerald exclaimed. "Slow down when you're talking to her." Mercury quickly sent a grunt in her direction before taking a long breath. 

     "H-He had bad hair, u-used a scythe, and smelled like my d-dad after a long day." Was the response Mercury could muster out. 

     "What do we do?" Emerald looked to Cinder, who had stopped in the middle of the room. 

     "Nothing." Cinder answered. "We stay the course. They have no idea who we are, so we have no reason to worry. Besides, the last of the heavy lifting is being taken care of thanks to our clever little friends." Cinder walked to the desk against the wall behind Mercury and picked up a scroll. "Ah, speaking of which-" she leaned against the desk as she opened an application on the device causing a picture of General Ironwood to appear in the top left of the screen. "It appears we have a new access point."

     "Anywhere good?" Emerald leaned forward on the table she sat on. 

     "You could say that." Cinder smiled. "Go to your rooms. I'll prepare everything for tomorrow." She added, looking up at them briefly. 

     "Um . . . wait, Cinder, I wanted to ask about something." Emerald stopped by the door, Mercury doing to the same a second after. 

     "Don't waste time; what is it you want to ask?" Cinder looked up from the scroll with a slight raise in her brow. 

     "It's about the Titans. After what happened at the Breach, will we have enough of them to continue the plan?" Emerald looked unusually uneasy as she spoke. Half out of legitimate worry for the plan and half out of the slight fear Cinder would reproach her for asking a stupid question. Thankfully Cinder did not see it that way. 

     "Ah, yes, that unfortunately crippling outcome for our plans. Roman's incompetence cost us more than I wanted to sacrifice, but it's not something to fret over; the IMC is being very cooperative. I imagine we'll have more than enough of them." Cinder said, sounding somewhat satisfied at the thought.

     "I-It's sostupid! Ishould'vejustkilledhimwhenIhadthechance-" 

     "Mercury!" Emerald snapped again. 

     "Leave, both of you." Cinder glared at her subordinates, letting them know she would not ask again. 

     "Yes ma'am!" Emerald, panicked, rushed herself and Mercury out of the room. When they left, she finally exposed her frustrations. "I told you you shouldn't have injected yourself with that stuff!"

     "It's been three days!" The silver-haired boy yelled, not caring in the slightest for the teams he may or may not have been waking. "I haven't slept in three days!" He grabbed the sides of his head in exhausted anguish. "I'm so tired." 

     "Well at least when it wears off you can sleep for three days and I won't have to hear you complain." 

     The two reached their rooms, which sat next to each other down the hall from Cinder's. "Now go in there and at least try to do something productive, or sleep, or anything really! We can't help Cinder with her plan if you can't function right." Emerald opened her door and stepped inside leaving Mercury on his own. It took him half a minute longer than he normally would have wanted, but he managed to unlock his room, moving inside with a certain twitch that could have been seen as someone with a serious mental disorder or someone who injected coffee into their bloodstream. If anyone asked, he may as well have been both.