Ch. 5 ~ The Kiss

The letters between Legolas and me were getting more and more romantic as the time went on. We wrote to each other every single day. There was not a time when the letters stopped coming. I started getting used to seeing his beautiful handwriting and the little things he sent me were as special as I felt the things I sent him were. We wanted very much to meet but we had to do it on neutral ground so that no one would find out. He did not want to come to Rivendell because to him it was a sacred place and he felt wrong doing so without invitation. He thought of my uncle with too much respect to just barge in on his homeland even if it was to visit me. We did not want to let on about us just yet though practically everyone knew on my side and something was suspected on his.

So we decided on meeting at dusk one particular evening. In the meantime, he had work to do. His father was having him be watchful of their land as there were large spiders in the wooded realm not far from Mirkwood. They were all about spinning webs and ruining trees; killing them. To us elves, trees are sacred. We build our homes among them and use them for protection while they grow safe and strong. Both Rivendell and Lorien have strong old trees that are older than some lands combined. So for some bugs to go and destroy that is a crime punishable by death.

The darkness I have been feeling, has been growing very slowly but steadily somewhere in our land. And I still did not know what that word "Necromancer" meant or why that sword that Gandalf brought whispered it to me. What part did I play in this overall story; I had yet to find out. My soul's preoccupation now with the new exciting element of my life; the elven prince of Mirkwood. In one of the letters, he hinted that he may have something for me. I could not imagine what it possibly could be. But when the sun started to set toward the west, I knew it was time to get ready.

I decided not to braid my hair but leave it straight down. My hair was nearly as long as Arwen's. The only difference was that mine was straighter then hers as it was wavy. I put on a dark sapphire gown with a matching coat. As I was leaving Rivendell and traveling alone with just Sunset, I strapped Altherial and a few daggers to me. I never left home without my sword even if I was surrounded by guards. That is just the way I was. Arwen would leave her weapons at home unless she was alone and that almost never happened. The daughter of Rivendell was always escorted everywhere she went though she almost never left Rivendell unless it was to secretly rendezvous with Aragorn.

When I was ready, I stopped in her bedroom to tell her I was on my way out. She was reading a book on her window seat and smiled at me and wished me luck. I took a deep and nervous breath while she smiled at me and giggled lightly. With a wave, I left and walked down the maze of corridors and paths down to the stables where the caretakers had made Sunset ready for me. I walked up to my steed and kissed him on the nose as I patted his mane.

"Ready for a nice ride, boy?" I asked looking him in the eye. He looked back at me wisely and reared back on his hind legs. He loved the freedom I gave him on our runs so he was more excited than I was, I suspected.

As the caretakers held him steady, I climbed up on top and took the reins and maneuvered him toward the bridge and exit gate of the kingdom. As soon as we past the outer gate, we were off; flying at top speed, I let him do what he was yearning to do. The only thing I did was guide him right or left, depending on our destination. Once we got close to where I knew he would be waiting, I slowed Sunset down to trot as we came upon a hill, I saw Legolas atop his horse at the bottom near a meadow. He smiled as he saw us approaching.

We met at the bottom and he hopped off his own steed and held on to both him and Sunset so I could climb down. Not that I needed any help but he was just a gentleman that way. That was yet another thing that I loved about him. He knew my capabilities and acknowledged them but he still was protective of me and my feelings. It was all so new and light to me. I had never felt this way about anyone before. I knew my feelings toward Haldir as a brother were nothing compared to what I felt for Legolas.