eleven

"I must ask," Kate stated as she pushed the doors to the gym open, revealing her figure to Dimitri, "Are you an alumni of the Academy? Because your accent is too strong for you to have attended this Academy." 

Dimitri turned to Kate, not at all surprised with her curiosity, but surprised that despite the very long and taxing first day, she was still full of energy and not at all complaining about still having to train with him.

"Нет. (No.) I attended St. Basil's Academy, in Russia." Dimitri replied, his Russian accent coming forth heavily as he mentioned his Academy, as he finished setting up the exercices that Kate would be doing, and as he did so, he missed the look of familiar realization that flashed across Kate's face.

"After I graduated, I was a guardian for a Zeklos Lord. He was killed recently." He added, his face growing dark, which Kate could see as she slowly approached him "I was stationed here because they needed extras on campus. And when the Princess turned up, the Queen assigned me to her, since I'd already be around. Not that it matters until she leaves campus."

"Did this Lord die on your watch?" Kate inquired curiously, although her tone was very apologetic, wringing her hands in front of her body, to show how uncomfortable she was prodding into Dimitri's life.

"No. He was with his other Guardian, I was away, visiting my family ." he replied, turning his head back to Kate and giving her a small grim smile, letting Kate know that wasn't a topic he wanted to talk about.

"I kind of get how you feel, I lost my twin brother the same night I lost my mom." Kate started, feeling the need to tell him something equally as personal, "I mean we were joint to the hip in everything but somehow that night I was able to get out and he wasn't. It kills me to know that, as a twin, I wasn't able to save him." 

There was no resentment in Kate's words, which showed that through the years that she'd been without her twin, she'd allowed herself to grief and grow.

"The boy from the picture?" Dimitri inquired curiously, successfully moving his mind from his sad past. He appreciated the fact that she was willing to share something personal of hers with him so that he wasn't the only one wallowing in self-pity and remorse.

A smile grew on Kate's lips as she crossed her arms under her bust, "Yeah, we were the worse set of twins around, troublemakers to the core. Drove mom and aunt Diana mad crazy. Kit was always running around and I was always hiding." Kate replied, thinking back to the happy past she remembered with her family.

Dimitri nodded slowly and took in this information before asking "Kit is short for?" This piece of information could be a clue to see from which Moroi family Kate was descended from.