chapter twenty-nine ▬▬▬ powerful people

━━━━━ ASTRID LOOKED AT Ellie as she processed the words that had just been given to her, confusion was on her face because she hadn't known what a Protector was

"I'm a Protector." Astrid spoke looking up at the brunette.

"I'm sorry, a what?" Ellie asked, shock falling off her tongue.

"I'm a Protector. The last of my kind, unless I have a kid to continue the line. It is my duty as Protector, to protect powerful people. These people are extremely powerful, I mean they would end the world if they chose too." Astrid began explaining.

"I come from a long line of Protectors who will eventually die off even though we're immortal. When our job is complete we have the option of continuing to live or dying in peace. Most of the Protectors chose dying in peace because they didn't want to live in a world where no one loved them." Astrid explained, while Ellie took in every word that had been spoken to her.

The more she thought about it the more it made sense. "Yes, you heard me right. I will remain immortal until I decide I want to leave the planet." Astrid added. Ellie looked down at the ground still processing the information that she had been given.

"Well, this is definitely not what I was suspecting, I thought you were going to say you were a wolf." Ellie informed the Protector. "This is for sure an odd way to start the day." Ellie added, sending Astrid a soft smile.

"Well, you wanted the truth, so I'm giving it to you." Astrid told her.

"Yes I did." Ellie replied, adjusting herself. "So, if you're a Protector, what else can you do?" Ellie asked curious to know more about her and what Astrid could do.

"Well, I can shift into different animals." Astrid said as Ellie walked away from her scanning the books to make sure everything was in order and lined up perfectly.

"What does that mean?" Ellie questioned, not really familiar with what she could do.

She knew that Sam and Max could shift into Wolves, but she really wanted to know if that was what Astrid could do or if she could do something different from what they could do.

"There are many different types of animals, all of which I can shift into. I'm not limited to one specific species, like the Wolves." Astrid explained. Ellie came around the corner popping her head out to look over at Astrid.

"That's pretty cool. If you're here to protect someone, who are you protecting?" Ellie inquired, moving to the next aisle of book shelves.

"You." Astrid answered honestly, adjusting her position in the chair.

Ellie stopped in her tracks, confused as to what she was saying. Turning back around she walked out of the aisle looking at Astrid who stared at her.

"Me?" Ellie responded tilting her head to the side as she leaned against the bookshelf for support. "Why me?" She proceeded to ask the Protector.

"Well, because you're more powerful than you think, El." The woman stated climbing off of the chair and walking around the counter.

"What?" Ellie asked, followed by a small amount of laughing. She still didn't understand what Astrid was trying to tell her.

"You have something very strong inside you, and it's been acting up since you were 11." Astrid began to tell her, Ellie felt that she stopped breathing when she heard that number. In that moment she knew she was responsible for what had happened to her parents.

"It wasn't until James attacked you and Carlisle left that it got stronger. This power is what protects you from most things. However, because you're still a human you're vulnerable and can't protect yourself, that's why I was awakened. It's your gift, you were born with it. But, like any other gift it needs to be activated." Astrid finished explaining feeling good about finally getting the truth out.

"So, the night my parents were fighting on the drive home, I was the cause of the accident? Am I the reason that they're dead?" Ellie asked, pushing through the pain.

She lifted her hand up to her hair running it through the strands of brown hair pushing it out of the way. Astrid didn't say anything, instead she only stared at Ellie who took in the answer that she had gotten.

"This day just keeps getting better." The brunette sighed, looking down at the ground.

"And another thing." Astrid mentioned causing her to lift her head and look at Astrid.

"What?" Ellie asked, stepping forward slightly.

"If one day down the road Carlisle and his family return and you decide you want to become one of them-" Astrid began to explain, still a little hesitant to tell her.

"Astrid, come on, just tell me already. I can take it." Ellie said, placing a small smile on her face.

"Your transition into a vampire will take a few days, mainly so your gift, whatever it may be, can develop. Once it's fully developed you'll be a force to be reckoned with." Astrid said, watching Ellie process the new information that had been given to her.

"This is a lot to take in." Ellie said as she slid down to the ground her back leaning against one of the bookshelves. Astrid moved from her spot walking over to Ellie, from there she kneeled down eventually sitting down on the ground across from her.

"I know it's a lot to take in. But I had to tell you, I don't think I could've kept this a secret for much longer. You would have found out sooner or later." Astrid informed her friend, Ellie only nodded her head in response.

"So, you will protect me until I am no longer in danger? Correct?" Ellie asked her.

"Yeah." Astrid replied.

"Well, this is going to be one interesting ride then." Ellie added, placing a bright smile on her face to which Astrid smiled back.

Ellie began to wonder if this was always the path she was destined to take. If it was she couldn't wait for what the future had in store for her whether it was good or bad.