chapter forty-one ▬▬▬ another protection detail

━━━━━ IT WAS NOW Monday night, Bella and Ellie walked into the house, Bella closed the door behind her

      ━━━━━ IT WAS NOW Monday night, Bella and Ellie walked into the house, Bella closed the door behind her. The two brunette's turned around to see Charlie right in front of them. "You know, Edward and Carlisle could at least respect meal times." Charlie said, looking between the two girls.

"I was just with Jake." Bella replied, looking back at her father.

"Oh. Good." Charlie replied, looking at Ellie.

"And I was at the bookstore, with Astrid and Max." Ellie said.

Though she had been lying about Carlisle being there, she knew that Charlie didn't have a problem with Carlisle but being the protective father he was just wanted to check in on her life here and there.

Just to make sure that she was doing okay, especially after what she had gone through when Carlisle had left her. A knock on the door brought Ellie out of her brief thoughts. Bella turned around looking at the door, moving back towards it. She looked at her father.

"I'll just give you two some privacy, then." Charlie said, turning away and walking out of the room leaving Bella and Ellie. Bella looked at Ellie, waiting for her to leave as well.

"Oh, I'm not leaving. Nice try, Bells." Ellie replied as she waited for her to open the door up.

Bella nodded in response, placing her hand on the door knob to open it. After opening it, Ellie looked to see Edward standing at the door waiting to talk.

"Hey." Bella said, looking at Edward.

"Do you understand how worried I've been?" Edward asked her.

Ellie watched closely as Bella and Edward continued to talk back and forth until something stopped him mid-sentence.

"I know I smell like a dog." Bella said, taking her jacket off.

"No, something's wrong." Edward said as he pushed through the door.

Ellie picked up on what he was saying and walked towards her room as Edward walked up the steps. Ellie looked around her room seeing if anything had gone missing. Not long after she had gone into her room Edward came in looking around moving over to her small work area.

"What's going on?" Ellie asked him.

"Someone's been here. They were in Bella's room and yours." Edward said, looking at her.

Bella walked up behind Ellie standing close to her, the two exchanged a look with each other.

Ellie sat next to Alice who sat in between her and Bella, Ellie held her hand up to her chin resting it on her palm. Esme and Jamie stood close to each other, a look of concern resting on their faces for the two humans.

Carlisle stood by the couch next to Ellie with his hands in his pockets. Ellie knew this was getting worse by the second and she needed it to end. Edward stood across from them as they talked about the situation.

"Who was it? Someone we know?" Carlisle asked as Emmett and Jasper walked into the house.

"This stranger, I didn't recognize his scent." Edward told them.

"A nomad passing through?" Esme asked as she looked at Jamie.

"A passerby wouldn't have left Bella's father alive." Rosalie informed them.

Jasper and Emmett walked into the room coming into the conversation. "The scent disappeared about 5 miles south of Bella's house." Jasper told the group as they all looked at him.

Ellie watched as Emmett walked over to Rosalie grabbing her hand as she stood up from the chair.

"Someone's orchestrating this." Carlisle said. Ellie looked over at Alice and Bella knowing who it might be.

"Victoria?" Bella and Ellie asked in sync.

"I would have seen her decide." Alice said, looking at Bella and then Ellie. The brunette had a deep gut feeling telling her that it was in fact Victoria.

"It has to be the Volturi." Edward said as Bella and Ellie looked at him.

"I don't think it's the Volturi, either. I've been watching Aro's decisions, too." Alice told them.

"So we keep looking." Emmett told the group.

"We'll also take shifts guarding Bella and Ellie at their house." Carlisle says, looking down at her briefly.

"Another protection detail?" Rosalie asked, turning her head towards Carlisle.

"Rosalie." Carlisle spoke, looking at her with frustration evident in his voice.

"No, she's right. You can't protect me and El, watch my dad and search for the intruder." Bella told them looking at Edward.

"And for Victoria." Rosalie added.

"And keep yourselves fed." Ellie said as she stood up from the couch standing next to Carlisle.

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless. Or Ellie." Edward informed them, showing how much he cared for her. It still shocked Ellie that he cared about her.

"Well, I'm not gonna let you starve. And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have..." Bella replied.

"And neither would I." Ellie said looking over at Carlisle.

"What?" Edward asked her. Edward picked up on who she was talking about.