Something Old I: The Childhood

Alice's POV

~1782, October 15th~
It was the middle of the night, an outrageous storm coming from the horizon. A pregnant woman woke up screaming. Her husband was still up, writing in a journal embellished with dazzling precious stones.

"Andromeda!" he screamed and rushed next to his wife.

"My water broke!" screamed Andromeda.

"Jacob do something!" she said.
* * *
After Andromeda gave birth, Jacob held his child. The storm was loud but the infant seemed calm.

"She is beautiful." cried Andromeda.

"She has your eyes." said Jacob and gave a kiss on the forehead of his beloved wife.

They already had two sons, Edmund the eldest of the family and Horace, they also had a daughter named Aurora who is the eldest daughter.

Edmund, who was only 7 by that time, rushed to the room after hearing noises from his parents' room and he was surprised with his new born baby sister.

"Mum?...Dad?..." he said hesitantly.

The couple looked at him and smiled.

"Aren't you supposed to be asleep young man?" asked Andromeda joked.

"The storm is too loud...I couldn't sleep." he replied then rushed to their bed to see his sister.

"She is so small!" he said and held her. "What did you name her?" asked Edmund.

"We don't know it yet, Eddie. Now go check on Horace and Aurora if they are alright and then go to bed." said Jacob.

"She looks like... Good night Alice!" he said before giving the baby back to his mother and went away.

"Alice?" said Andromeda.

"Meda, I think Eddie just named her!" he grinned.

"I believe so, Jake." she chuckled. "Alice Williams, welcome to the family..." she whispered as she kissed her baby.
* * *
~Summer of 1785~
I was almost 3 years old, my older brothers Edmund and Horace were learning how to properly use a sword with my father while my older sister Aurora was taking care of my one year old baby sister, Charlotte.

I still remember that horrible day.
I still remember how the British officers broke down the door of our mansion and held their musket towards us and took my mother away.
My father was screaming at Edmund who was trying to fight them. After that, it's a blur.

I didn't understand what happened but I remember trying to do the same as Edmund, I was not even three yet. Everyone thought I was really courageous but all I wanted was to have my mum back. Aurora pulled me away from them and hugged me tight while I was crying. She was screaming at them instead of attacking like I did. She was probably more reasonable.

I never saw my mother after that day.

I never understood why they took her until I was 8 when Edmund told me she was hanged because they thought she was a witch and her piracy background didn't help.

My mother was really involved with science, more likely with astronomy. Even her name was a constellation.

My father on the other side comes from a very wealthy family of scientists

My father on the other side comes from a very wealthy family of scientists. He is known for his astronomical searches.
He was quite famous and got even more fame when the scandalous death of his wife became public. People used to avoid us, they didn't want to be seen with the family of a "witch".

My mother, in fact, was NOT a witch, she was a woman of science but no one found it sane.

My father wanted us to move in America and avoid all the scandal in England, our home country.
* * *
~1787~
I was five when we moved in America. Everything was new, the places and people...
I remember that one night, my father hosted this huge formal gala where he invited a bunch of important people such as the Founding Fathers of America, important scientists like Antoine Lavoisier and more.
My father and siblings lived in America until that day where we got sent back in England because of some financial issues I didn't quite understand.

We had no place to stay back in England but I couldn't thank God enough, someone really important offered us to stay with them. It was Angelica Schuyler Church who lived in England with her husband.

My father's good relationship with Alexander Hamilton made us have a roof to stay in until we find a new home.

In the short time we stayed with Angelica and her husband, John Barker Church, I somehow became really close with Angelica.
She was always there for me even if my siblings and I were really close and loved each other, Angelica was like a mother to us along side her other children.

My father finally bought a mansion and gained his fame and wealthiness in the snap of a finger. My only friends were my siblings. I can't explain how close I was with them. Every single one of them meant the world to me. We'd always play together and defend each other. We'd fight a lot but at the end of the day, we would always forgive. They aren't wrong when they say family is everything.

I also got the best education ever, I went to school alongside my brothers and I secretly learnt astronomy with my father after the long years of begging him to teach me. He was scared the same thing that happened with my mother will happen to me.

 He was scared the same thing that happened with my mother will happen to me

* * *
~1797~
Somebody knocked at our door. I reached out and opened it to reveal Angelica.

"Angelica!" I said, happily.

"Oh, Alice!" she said and hugged me.

"Come in, the boys are out at the store. Aurora and Charlotte are in the garden, planting some flowers. Do you want me to call them?" I asked.

"No need, I actually came to tell you something." she said excited.

I smiled and got excited as well.

"I am going in America to visit my family in a month or so. I was going to go with John but he had a last minute thing going on with work and I have an extra boat ticket..." she said.

I couldn't believe what I heard. I opened my eyes wide and smiled.

"I thought—maybe, you would like to come with me? I know you love America and you always told me how much you wanted to go back...I would totally understand if you can't—" she continued.

"Are you kidding me?! I'd die if I don't come with you!" I shouted. "It's just that...I don't know if my father will let me go alone..." I said sadly.

"I will talk to Jake and convince him. I wouldn't miss the opportunity to take you to America with me! Plus, it's only for 2 months. It's not forever!" she said confidently.

"I cannot thank you enough, Angie!" I said as I hugged her.