Something Old XIX: Pirate's Life

Alice's POV

I couldn't blame him of cheating because I wasn't even sure about it but something felt so wrong between us earlier and those mysterious letters are just...unusual and weird.

I wiped my tears away as I heard Philip's footsteps getting louder and louder.

He slowly opened the door and went to bed next to me.

"Alice?..." he said quietly.

I pretended to be asleep.

He sighed and blew on the candle and pulled the sheets towards him.

The next morning was still weird, what can I say?

I woke up and Philip was not next to me. I was anxious to go down and see him and actually have to tell him what I saw and hear what he has to stay.

I got out of bed very slowly and changed my clothes. I wore some trousers and a white lace top. I was actually more comfortable dressed like that but you know, it's more appropriate for women to wear dresses but I didn't really care about that, I always liked to be free even though it was hard sometimes.

I didn't even do my hair, I just left it down but they were somehow looking good, my hair always looks good. I have my mother's hair.

I quietly went downstairs hoping I won't be questioned by Philip but at my surprise, he was not there.

I looked around a little until I saw a piece of paper and a quill on the main table.

I took it and started reading it.

"Dear Alice,
I don't know what happened last night and I'm sorry if I did anything wrong.
I just realised how fast your moods can change and whenever it does, I always bomb you with questions and try to make you talk but maybe I should just let you alone and have time for yourself and let you have time to get back on your average emotional state.
I will be in town to do the same and I hope to see you tonight.
I love you, sincerely, Philip."

I thought I'd prefer not to talk about anything but seeing him react that way makes me want to talk to him and clear things out. I needed to know what was going on.

Hold on—oh my sweet Jesus, he went in town! He went in town alone! The last time we had a slight problem and we were on our own, he almost ended up drunk.

Honestly, I don't understand if I'm his best friend, girlfriend or mother sometimes.

I needed to find him in case he was doing the same thing as the last time but I had no time to change and I didn't want anyone to see me like that so I just found a pirate looking hat, I don't even know how I found it honestly, and I walked the streets my head down.

It took me half an hour to actually get in town and then I started looking in every pub I could find if my fellow love interest could be in one of them. I really hoped he won't be but I had a huge feeling that he was.

I've already checked out every pub except one. It's name was 'Queen Anne's Revenge' like that pirate called Blackbeard's ship. I assumed it was more like a pirate pub because it was in the dark through a small passage.

I slowly entered through the door and I could hear men drunk-singing, laughings and sword noises.

I walked in the pub and before even looking if Philip was there, I just bought myself a bottle of rum because God knows why, I really liked it even though it's disgusting, it's also so sour and addicting.

I felt like a pirate and I liked it. I could become one and just start a whole new life if pigs could fly.

I took the bottle in exchange of some gold and then I sat on an empty booth. I still had my head down because I didn't want anyone to comment.