Chapter 56 : Darker than Black

Astrid's P.O.V.

Once the gun released its load, Merida's piercing scream echoed throughout the forest. I was about to tear up and scream as well.

Freakin' sh*t!!! MER HAS BEEN SHOT AND I ACTUALLY DID NOTHING!!

As if he read my mind, Jake cupped my face and gave me a reassuring smile. It was supposed to make me feel better... wait how can a smile make the situation better?

I knew something was off. A smile is not reassuring at this time, our friend had just been shot! And it actually just made me freak out more... his eyes left no space for white... they were all black.

I stumbled as Jake disappeared right in front of me. SH*T SH*T SH*T SH*T!!! WHERE'S JAKE?!?!?!?

I AM STARING AT A FREAKING TREE NOW, WITH JAKE NOWHERE BESIDE ME!!!!!

I looked around... no sign of him... I even made a single glance where Flynn was.. and no it wasn't a single glance.

A black mist swirled at the back of Flynn.. and cold ran up to my spine. I froze. Shocked.

Jake appeared suddenly at the back of Flynn, black mist surrounding him. No matter how dark the forest is, I never thought there would be blacker than my surroundings. His eyes were.

With his hands at his sides, he lifted his arms slowly.. then he effortlessly waved his hands to the side. I thought he wasn't doing anything and I almost thought he was insane. He looked like he slapped a freaking air!

But as his hands flickered to the side so did Flynn.

Flynn was thrown to the farthest tree and had hit his head, he was now unconscious.

The sniper was alarmed. But Jake's action was faster than light. Jake made look the sniper's reflexes damn slow.

He raised his hand, as he did, the sniper was lifting off the ground. And black mist surrounded the guy. He was screaming. He was scared. The black mist was now turning into figures and created sounds.

The mist turned into bats.

I knew I should be scared of Jake as well. I can't move, my mind says run but my body wasn't responding.

WHAT IS FREAKIN HAPPENING?!?!

But then I remembered Mer. I quickly ran to them, hoping I'll finally reach them, take them back with us.

Nevermind what happened earlier, I wasn't thinking straight, I wanted to run for my life but whatever. I pushed Jake's supernatural behavior at the back of my head and thought of my 2 friends.

As I ran I can see the light, a fire. My heart skipped a beat, knew that it was them.

Once I got a clear glimpse of Hiccup's face, I teared up. He was beside Merida. Merida got shot on the leg. Hiccup wrapped Mer in his arms. Tears were running down his face.

I couldn't help but wrap my arms around Hic and Mer as I cried. "THANK GOODNESS! I KNEW I FOUND YOU GUYS!" My breath was shaky, everything was too overwhelming.

"Astrid... Astrid... Mer.... she's hurt-" Hiccup was shaking. I have retreated my arms and saw Mer unconscious.

"She had hit her head. Someone had shot her at the leg, she stood up- it all happened too quickly."

I didn't notice that they were with someone else. Then I got a glimpse of her eyes. Same as Hiccup's.

I gasped. I knew her. Since I have known Hiccup for long since we were kids, I knew that his mother went missing.