Prologue

If someone walked into the room, they would be able to cut the tension with a knife. One man was trying to make a phone call as he looked over screens of radar. Two women and another man stood in a worried silence.

One of the women began pacing, biting down on her lip. She stopped and leaned a hand on the back of the chair the man was sitting in. Her eyes scanned over the screens intently. She looked at the phones lines praying that one might come through. She looked over her shoulder towards the other woman and man who were whispering quietly with each other.

"Come in! This is Captain Rogers! Do you read me?!"

"Captain Rogers, what is your loc-"

"Steve?! Is that you ?! Are you alright?!" Victoria Fuchs pushed the young man away and sat down.

"Tori! Schmidt's dead!"

"What about the plane?" Victoria asked as the other three people crowded around behind her.

"That's a little bit tougher to explain."

"Give me your coordinates! I'll find you a safe landing site," Victoria instructed.

"There's not going to be a safe landing," Steve answered, making everyone freeze momentarily before he began talking again, "but I can try to force it down."

"I-I'll get Howard on the line. He'll know what to do," Victoria said desperately trying to figure out how to get Steve home safely.

"There's not enough time. This thing's moving too fast, and it's heading to New York," Steve's answer prompted Chester Philips to gesture for Peggy Carter, the other man, and himself to leave.

"I got to put her in the water."

"Please don't do this. W-we have time. We can work it out," Tori's voice cracked at the end of her sentence as she felt her heart racing.

"Right now, I'm in the middle of nowhere. If I wait any longer, a lot of people are going to die. Tori, this is my choice," Steve replied.

Her trembled jaw slightly as tears welled in her eyes. She couldn't believe what was happening, but it was his choice. This self-sacrifice was reminiscent of the one that ultimately meant he was selected to be the test subject of Dr. Eskrine's experiment. She clenched her jaw in acceptance, even though she was devastated. She could hear the plane's engines getting louder, but they were going to take him to the ocean, not to her.

"Tori

"Tori."

"I'm here."

"I'm gonna need a rain check on that drive-in movie."

Tori took a deep breath to quickly compose herself as the tears began to flow, "alright. A week next Saturday."

"You got it."

"Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late. Understood?"

"You know I still don't know any good movies that have come out." Steve's admission made the corners of her lips turn slightly in a pained smile.

"Neither do I. We can figure it out. Just be there," she begged.

"We'll ask for recommendations. I'd hate to waste your ti-" Steve's voice was cut off and replaced by static.

"Steve? Steve?" Tori asked only to be met with more static. She tried one more time before bowing her head to cry.

Philips and Carter watched with heavy hearts from a short distance away as the German grieved for the Captain. The two turned and left the crying woman alone not wanting to intrude.