12. AFTERMATH

"This is Stepanov," Ana answered her phone without looking at who was calling.

"Hi, Ana

"Hi, Ana."

"Steve!" Ana grinned recognising his voice, "how are you? Are you okay?"

"I'm doing well thank you. Just wrapped things up with Fury. Thor is taking Loki and the Tesseract back to Asgard, so that's a relief. Just trying to process the aftermath really. How about you?"

"I'm okay, thank you. Our apartment building was destroyed, so S.H.I.E.L.D. is going to give us new ones somewhere else in New York."

"Fury told me that I'm actually not going to be in New York anymore."

""Really? Where are they sending you?"

"Washington D.C."

"Oh," Ana said softly.

"What is it?"

"I'm staying in New York, so I guess we're done being partners."

"Oh," Steve echoed.

Ana cleared her throat, "I believe I owe you a steak dinner since you successfully completed your mission. Are you still in New York?" She asked hopefully.

"Until tomorrow. Does tonight work?"

"Yes. I'll text you the restaurant."

"Okay. Talk to you soon, Ana."

"Bye, Steve," she smiled.

When she hung up, she was treated to a nice hard kick in the shin. She glared at Sean who was sitting across from her at the table snorting. She folded her arms and kicked him back.

"Ouch!" He complained.

"What are you snorting about?"

"You just asked Captain America on a date."

"I did no such thing, Hansen."

"You're such a liar," Sean rolled his eyes.

"Keep rolling your eyes. Maybe you'll find your brain back there." 

After she and Sean helped as many civilians as they could, they went back to his apartment. He lived on the outskirts of Manhattan, so they were safer from Loki there.

Much to Ana's disappointment, the flash drive that had all the files got smashed when she and Steve landed on top of his shield. And since the S.H.I.E.L.D. building was totalled during the fight, she would have to find a different way to find out more about Viktoria.

Ana looked up a restaurant on the outskirts of Manhattan. She made an online reservation before she texted it to Steve's personal phone. She ran her fingers through her hair. Sean was still smirking at her.