Chapter 17

Can's POV

Coach Lavinia sat in front of Can and Tin, looking sternly at them like an interrogator in a police investigation.

The other students had already been released from detention and were probably on their way to breakfast.

A little to the side of Coach Lavinia stood McNeil, leaning against the wall, hands folded in front of his chest, quietly observing the situation.

Can was nervous.

In his head, he tried to repeat to himself that whatever happened, his main goal was not to accidentally betray their relationship again. He needed to keep their secret. Even if there were accusations or insinuations, he should remain vague and he shouldn't repeat yesterday's mistake and blurt out that he had kissed Tin.

Since Tin had returned from his run, he had made sure not to glance at him more than he would at any normal acquaintance.

"You are a clever one, Mr. Medthanan, I have to give you that," Coach Lavinia began, speaking calmly and purposefully, "I admit you got me, yesterday. I thought you had actually changed over the last month, bloody unlikely as this is."

She shook her head, as if to scold herself for her own credulousness.

"But you messed up. I can see your plan now. You knew that Mr. Kirakorn would not remember to set an alarm, the kid has had a very demanding schedule these past weeks and he's prone to forget such things. You knew that he was likely to dally in the shower and that both of you would be late if you just let him, didn't you? You thought getting him in trouble would solve your problem."

What was going on? What did Coach Lavinia think had happened?

As confused as Can was and as much as he wanted to set things right and take the blame himself, he needed to remember his goal.

Protect their secret.

But the Coach was so unfair to Tin! How could she insinuate... it was his fault!

His resolution didn't work.

"It wasn't like that! I forgot the time all on my own!"

"It's very nice of you to try and protect your roommate, Mr. Kirakorn, but I'm afraid you have been had," she looked at him as if she pitied him for being so credulous.

How naïve did people think he was? Did they really believe he'd let himself get tricked liked that by his roommate?

"I'm sorry, you won't get rid of your roommate that easily," she continued, now fixing Tin with her stare.

Can nearly choked in surprise.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Kirakorn. You know, I tried to get you into another room, but..." she sighed.

He suddenly understood how they needed to go about this.

This usually only happened on the football field, when the pass he needed to make or the path he needed to run suddenly became as clear as a line painted on the grass, only visible for him.

Once you saw it, it was obvious.

Coach Lavinia still thought Tin hated him and wanted to get rid of him. She had read all their actions of the last two days under this assumption... and she had reached a completely wrong, but from her position completely plausible conclusion.

All they needed to do was go with her story and nobody would ever suspect them of dating.

He softly kicked Tin's foot under the table and looked at him out of the corner of his eyes until their gazes met. All it needed was a soft nod for him to believe that Tin had understood, too.