Chapter 43

Isla's POV

"Isla come on, we don't want to be late." I was sitting on my bed, refusing to move to let Aunty Leona help me put on my black dress. "I don't want to go." I said, crossing my arms to make it even tougher for Leona to get the stupid dress on me. "Why don't you want to go to a celebration of your mum?" I never thought of the funeral for my mum that way, ever since she left, I always thought it would be celebrating the fact she has left, or just everyone crying so much to fill a massive pool, or the one I'd most been thinking, finally understanding my mum will never come back, & going to the church will only cement that. Aunty crossed her arms as well, noticing that I had to think about it. "Because dad's not coming, if he gets to lock himself in his bedroom for days on end, why can't I?" Aunty noticed my arms not as stiff as before & so I allowed her to move them so she could get the dress on. "He'll be there."

At the church, everyone was kneeling down to hug me, most of them I had no idea & I wasn't listening to what they were saying. I was looking for dad, & still, after nearly everyone hugged me, I still couldn't see him. Sara grabbed my hand & pretty much forced me into the church, not letting anyone else hug me. "Where's dad?" I ask her as she's pulling me past the men that are handing out brochures about how the event will take place. I didn't get to have one but as I looked at the one that was half out of Sara's handbag, it had a picture of mum on the front, a huge smile on her face while hugging Murphy, no sign of the stupid sickness that took her away from me. "I haven't seen him, Leona, have you seen Oscar?" She asked Leona while placing me on her hip. "Sorry mum, I haven't." She quickly said before rushing past us. I managed to grab the brochure out of Sarah's handbag & looked at the back-, a picture at my third birthday, I think. I was in mum's lap, dad, Sarah, Nona, Leona & some other girls mum's age that I don't remember but I think they both hugged me before. "Hey, give that back miss." Sarah said, snatching the brochure out of my hands & planting a kiss on my forehead. "I was only looking at the pictures." Everyone was smiling so sadly, smiling wasn't meant to mean sadness, but everyone was sadly smiling & nodding at each other. "Isla, hi." I saw Flynn, nodded my head & sadly smiled. "What are you doing?" He tilted his head to one side, his blonde, spiked up hair stayed still. Someone must've put that stuff in his hair that made it go stiff, I forgot what it's called though. "She's just really sad Flynn, like you'd be if you lost your mum or dad." I gave him a strong stare, which obviously scared him, because he ran off back to Uncle Dylan. "Why does he get to keep both his parents, why couldn't I keep mum? It's not fair. Why doesn't Aunty Macey die?" I had leaned my head on Sara's white blazer. "Isla, do not wish someone to die, that is tremendously rude." She had sat down in the front set of seats, & put me next to her. "I don't know what that means. & it's not fair to me." I said, crossing my arms again. "It means very rude, & life's not fair Isla, the quicker you realise, the better."

The End