Chapter Thirty-Three: The Downfall Of Merle Dixon

What are you doing? Turn around

I ignored the constant thoughts in my head as I continued down the seemingly endless road. I didn't have a plan. I didn't know where I would be going from here, but I had the upper hand. Merle was still knocked out cold, not moving an inch.

My original plan was to hand him over to The Governor or drop him off in the woods, but that wouldn't fix anything. Why would I do to him exactly what he was going to do to us? He changed his mind and I wouldn't do that to him. Merle was a good guy deep down...deep, deep down.

The only thing deserting him would fix was the extra weight in the backseat. I was going to do something even better. I was going to save this group. If I could somehow lure The Governor in, I could slaughter him with ease. I would be able to do what this group couldn't, save us.

I smirked at the road ahead of me. It was teeming with possibility and promise of a better future for us. Or for them. I wouldn't be going back to the prison. I would simply eliminate the problem, give Merle the car, and disappear. Daryl wouldn't have to worry about me anymore. The possibilities were endless, or at least it seemed that way until I felt a gun press against my temple.

I frowned at the realization that Merle had woken up from his little nap. I knew I should've tied him up. "Pull over," he growled as his finger grazed the trigger. I would've called his bluff, but something told me Merle would put me down right there without hesitation. I didn't wanna go out that way.

I sucked in a breath as I slowly pulled over to the side of the road. Why didn't you tie him up? You're such an idiot.

Merle kept the gun level with my head as he smirked. "Now hand me the keys."

I did as I was told.

"And give me one reason not to shoot your ass right now."

I could give him a thousand, but he only asked for one. I decided to spill my mastermind plot to him in order to save my life. We could do this together. Merle and I could be heroes.
"We have a common goal. We both want The Governor dead, do we not?" I asked quickly as Merle nodded his head slightly.
"There's an abandoned building not too far from Woodbury. I was thinking we could blare music or something, attract him while attracting walkers. That would pose a threat to him and his men and they would have to follow it. I'm a good aim. I can take him out," I began, looking over at him. "Merle, we can end this."

Merle seemed to chew on my words for a while. It was as if he was questioning if he could trust me or not. What would I do? Join The Governor? I wanted this man to be eliminated and this was the only way to accomplish that.

Merle eventually nodded before pushing me over into the passenger seat. "Hey!" I shouted as I was shoved roughly. He didn't seem to care. He crawled from the back and scooted down into the drivers seat. "Okay, but I'm driving," he said as he put the keys in the ignition. "And if you try anything, I will kill you too."

I nodded at him with a smirk, "Likewise."

Merle began driving down the road once more. It was completely empty, not a walker in sight. It almost seemed normal despite us being the only vehicle on the road. We drove in silence almost the entire time until Merle stopped at a small store. I frowned when I saw the name of it.

"Alcohol? You really need alcohol right now?" I demanded, crossing my arms over my chest. Merle shrugged as he exited the vehicle, making a quick run inside. I loved alcohol just as much as the next person, but I wasn't going to risk my life to get it. He eventually made his way back to the car with a bottle in his hand.