Chapter Sixty-Six: Flashback

Note: the next few chapters will be about what happened to Elizabeth after Gareth attacked her.

My eyes fluttered open slightly as I felt my body being carried. Every single step hurt, but I was too dead to focus on it. I could feel life slipping away from me as I glanced up at the person carrying me for a split second.
It was him
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Daryl," I mumbled as I felt life waking me up. I was confused about why I was alive, but I was confused anyways. My head was pounding far too much for me to think. I didn't even want to open my eyes due to the intense pain.
"Not here," a familiar voice replied.

I slowly allowed my eyes to flutter open as I realized I wasn't alone. I slowly tilted my head to the side to examine where the voice was coming from. Pain flowed through my neck as I did this, but I tried to ignore it. I needed to see where I was.

I took a deep breath as my eyes adjusted to a face I never wanted to see again. I stared at the familiar 'W' on his forehead before I looked into his eyes. "You."

"Me," he replied with a disgusting grin. I wanted to kill him. I wanted to have the strength to tear his heart out, but I knew I couldn't. I would be killed before I could even make it out of the small bed I was in.

"Why am I here?" I asked, cutting to the chase. I wasn't sure why he was saving me when he tried to kill me the last time we crossed paths. I tried to save him and he returned the favor by locking me in a room full of walkers. I almost died because of him.

"Just be lucky you are here," he said with a slight nod of the head. "And maybe thank me for saving your life while you're at it."

"Why?" I asked as I continued gazing at him. "You're just going to kill me."
"Why would I save your life just to kill you?"

I stared at him for a moment before slowly trying to pull myself up. Pain shot through my entire body when I tried to do this. I let out a moan as I allowed myself to lay back down.

"I wouldn't do that," he said as he slowly got out of the chair he was in. I flinched as he approached me and he grinned as he realized I was afraid of him. And I was. I was terrified of this person. He could easily take my life with the condition I was in. "You're still pretty messed up."

I continued staring up at him as his hand slowly moved to the bottom of my shirt. I quickly jumped back as he began pulling it up.

"Relax," he said with his hands up. "I'm not going to rape you."

Once he saw that I was calmed down, he slowly began pulling my shirt up to reveal a bandage covering what I assumed was a bullet hole. I flinched at the sight of it. I didn't realize I had been fucked up this badly. I was scared to see what was under the bandage on my head.

"You're healing," he noticed as he continued examining the bandage. "We've stitched you up. It took ten on the bullet hole," he said before he slowly pushed a piece of hair from my neck. My heart was racing at this point. I had no idea what he was trying to do. "And 30 on your head."
He slowly moved his hand away and continued staring down at me. I didn't understand what he was doing. Why attempt to kill me and then save my life?

"Where are the people I was with?" I demanded with my voice shaking.

"Gone," he replied with a simple shrug. "They left you here. Didn't even come back to look for you."
I swallowed hard at his words. There was no way he was telling the truth. Somebody had to have looked for me. Somebody had to be wondering where I was.

"What about the man that was with me?" I asked as I watched him walk towards the exit of the tent we were in.

"He was saved," he answered with honesty in his voice. Finally he said something I could believe.

"God," I whispered as I felt tears dampen my eyelashes. I tried to blink them away, but they were coming whether I wanted them to or not. "They all think I'm dead."

"Best to keep it that way," he replied before turning around to face me once again. "Those people are going to find you again."

The image of Gareth popped into the back of my mind. I was going to kill him. I was going to kill him if we ever crossed paths again. I knew that Bob was dead regardless. I had the luxury of living while he died such an unfair death. There was nothing fair about this entire situation.

"Help me up," I demanded as I began trying to pull myself up again. The pain returned to my body, but I ignored it. I had to get better. I had to make myself heal in order to save the others.
"I wouldn't do that," he disagreed as he watched me struggle to even sit up.

"I have to move around to get better," I growled at him as I finally pushed myself up. Pain shot through my wound as I did so. He paused for a moment before walking over to me and pulling me to my feet. He wasn't very gentle when he did so, but I guess it was better than nothing.

"You don't give up," he noticed as he glared down at me. I slowly tried to straighten myself up as he let go of my arms. "I like that."

"I can't afford to give up," I moaned as I tried to shuffle to the opening in the tent. Before I could get out, he stepped in front of me. A devious smile slowly crossed his face.

"I'm Owen," he said as he held his hand out.

I paused for a moment as I looked down at his outstretched hand. I had a feeling that he was about to ruin everything I had worked so hard for, but I took his hand anyways.

"Elizabeth."