Chapter Forty-Seven: Terminus

"I've done terrible things," I whispered as I pulled my knees to my chest. "I have seen terrible things."
I ran my finger across the broken floor as I began telling my life story to somebody who wasn't even listening.
"I killed someone," I breathed out as I bit down on my lip. "I killed a lot of people. People who I didn't even know."
Lily's lifeless eyes continued staring at me as they started faintly turning a grey color. I could tell that she was going to turn remotely soon, so I would have to speak quickly. I wanted her to know everything even if she couldn't truly listen to my words.
"My dad was the one that was killed," I sighed as I leaned back against the door once more. "He was killed just when I thought I couldn't handle another person leaving," I chewed on my bottom lip.

"Lori is a woman that I used to know. I watched her die during childbirth. I've watched too many people die," I whispered out as a single tear drifted down my cheek. "I've lost too many people."

I pulled my hand away from the floor and tucked it under my leg. I watched as Lily began to stir slightly, a raspy breath escaping her lips.

"I think I'm the only one who made it," I whispered as her eyes slowly opened. "I don't know if the others are alive. I never saw Daryl after I ran," I said with a small whimper. "I left him there. I never went back for him."

Lily's now faded eyes stared intently at me as she began pushing herself off of the ground. I slowly pulled my knife out of my pocket as she began stumbling over to me. A deep growl escaped her body as she filled with the hunger for my flesh. She was no longer Lily just as I was no longer Lori.

I pushed my knife deep into her skull as she kneeled down in an attempt to take my life. Her cold body hit the floor as a whimper escaped my lips. If I would've stayed I could've saved her. But if I stayed, I wouldn't have my sanity.

I slowly slipped my knife into my pocket and pushed myself off of the cold floor. I knew I wouldn't be able to stay in this house knowing that her ghost would forever haunt these walls.
My eyes moved to a lighter on the counter and I slowly made my way over to it.

A quick flick of my finger and a curtain catching on fire was all it took for the old house to burst into flames along with Lily. I stood in the yard, watching the flames reach for the sky. I knew the smoke would signal somebody to come looking for me. If the others didn't make it, the smoke would signal somebody that I didn't want finding me.

I cracked a small smile as I turned on my heel to make my way to wherever I was going. I didn't know where my journey would take me, but I hoped it was somewhere that I would be safe. Somewhere that I could potentially find the others.

I began walking down a dirt road where I could clearly see footprints in the mud. Something about this made a pang of hope flow through my body. The pattern told me that they were made by a human.
Even if it wasn't one of my people, it was still somebody.

Part of me wanted to find Carol, but I knew she was long gone. She could see how deeply I had fallen into my own mind. I knew that she wouldn't come after me and I honestly didn't blame her. I wouldn't want to come after a lunatic either.

I would need to find food and water as soon as I possibly could. Shelter wasn't a necessity, I could sleep in the forest somewhere if I had to. I could also very easily find an abandoned car to crawl into. I could see the approach of darkness creeping into the sky, so I would need to find somewhere rather quickly.

I didn't know about the others, but I knew that Daryl and I would find each other if he was still alive. We would always find our way to each other. But Daryl wasn't my number one focus. I had to find my sisters one way or another. We would need each other more than ever during this time.

Just as I was about to turn into the forest, I saw a small sign in the distance. I tried to ignore it, but something about it told me to go to it. And I did.

As I approached it, I knew where I would have to go.
I knew where the others would go.

Sanctuary for all, community for all.
Terminus.