Fourteen

Anna POV

I was sitting in the Rose garden, picking off all the evil little bugs who were eating my pretty roses. I really loved it out here. It was a place that I could be myself, that I could be free and no one would ever interrupt me. Smiling I closed my eyes and laid back on the grass. If it was up to me, then I would stay this way forever, I would just lay here in the lush green grass until I died. Unfortunately, fate never let me have things the way I wanted them.

As I opened my eyes I saw an ant crawling through the grass. I just had to follow it. The little body was going over and under the grass, I wanted to play with it and follow it home. I started to pull myself along the grass following the ant with acute focus.

"What are you doing?"

I ignored who ever it was that spoke and continued to crawl along the grass.

"Hello?? Earth to Anna? Are you listening?"

Annoyed that they were interrupting my train of thought, I looked away from the ant and into a pair of grey eyes. Luc was crouched down beside me smiling. Rolling my eyes at him, I tried to find the ant again.

"Okay don't answer me then...."

I couldn't find the ant anywhere. I started to search through the grass frantically as Luc talked at me.

"So, I was wondering if you'd like to hang out with me today?"

Crawling in my hands and knees, I went round and round in circles looking for my friend.

"We could go down to the lake and spend some time in the sunshine......"

My throat was starting to constrict, where was he?'

"Or we could go swimming, I think you'd like swimming, I think you'd look adorable in a bikini....."

I sat back on my knees, eyes welling up with tears. I would never find him again.

"Maybe we could even have a picnic.... only if you wanted to of course.... Petal?"

I couldn't breathe.

"Petal?" Luc's voice was alarmed as he scooped me up into his arms and held me against his chest.

I started to sob against the soft fabric of his shirt.

"Shhh.... Petal..... You're okay," He tried to console me but it only made me cry harder.

Luc held me tighter and started to strike the side of my head with his thumb.

"Petal what's wrong.... tell me?"

I shook unable to stop crying, "He's gone!"

Luc stiffened and frowned at me, "Who's gone petal?"

I looked up at him, "My friend, I was watching him crawl home when you interrupted me and I looked away and was.... gone."

Luc looked at me funny for a moment before he pulled me up so I saddled his lap.

"Is that all that's making you sad Petal?"

I nodded

He smiled, "What if I found you another friend? Would that make you happy?"

I thought about it for a moment before I nodded slightly.

Luc's smile grew

"Close your eyes, okay?"

I did.

"Now hold out your hand."

I felt something soft be placed in my hands and I couldn't stop myself from opening my eyes. In my hands was the most adorable little ferret I had ever seen. He was mostly white with some grey flecked in around his lower body and feet, the grey was the same colour as Luc's eyes. His eyes were brown and beady. Luc was right..... seeing the ferret did make me feel better.