Thirty-One

Jaiden POV

I really didn't want to do this. However, it was just something that needed to be done. I know I'm going to sound super weak when I say this but the way I was feeling right now as I waited in my chambers, was the same way I felt as child getting taken to get a needle. Not enjoyable, but necessary.l

I paced back and forth within my room, pure dread resting in my stomach. I wanted to run, I wanted to do anything than what I was about to do. I know that I'm probably acting like a wuss, that I should just get it over and done with, like ripping off a band aid. I shouldn't be this scared, I was the Aloha King after all.

But then again, it wasn't every day you accused your best friend of being a traitor.

I wasn't sure what it was that I was actually afraid of, that he was guilty or that he was innocent? Because if he was innocent than it would be i who betrayed him by not trusting.

Sighing in frustration I closed my eyes and tried to stop fidgeting. That was when I heard the bone chilling knock at my door.

I didn't want to do this.

Opening my eyes, I slowly walked across the room and opened my door to Ben's friendly face.

In that moment I wanted to kick myself. Ben could never do such a thing, he would never betray me. But I couldn't help but think that maybe I was just in denial and it was that small ounce of doubt that was slowly eating myself up inside.

What do you know... apparently I can feel guilt.

I gestured for Ben to enter and he awkwardly shuffled into my room.

"You wanted to talk to me, Jai?"

Here we go......

"Ummm, yes I did want to talk to you. Its about the attacks," I stated authority oozing from my words.

"What about them?" Ben asked his voice cheery and in no way knowledgable of my accusation.

"Well, you know how we came to the conclusion that there was an inside man who was actually the leader of the rogue pack?"

Ben nodded and I continued.

"And that they would have to be an Alpha or a Beta?"

I watched as he began to frown confusion blurring his features.

"Well, I did some investigating and I think that I know who the traitor is.." I couldn't bare to continue my sentence but I slowly felt myself become cold inside, almost cruel for what I was about to say.

Ben continued to frown but asked, "Who?"

I gulped, "I have reason to suspect that you are the traitor."

There I said it.

Ben didn't move, he didn't flinch or even deny my accusation like I had thought he would. Instead he just stayed silent as my words washed over me.

He clenched he jaw and looked me in the eyes, "And what makes you think that?"

He voice was as cold as ice and that was when I knew he was angry.

"Well......" but before I could actually tell him why he stopped me.

"Actually, I don't want to know because whatever it was shouldn't be enough to make you stop trusting me!"

His words were like a knife being shoved into my gut over and over again. He was right, I should have trusted him, but as the Alpha I knew that trust was only for fools.

"Look, Ben. I do trust you, its just that I have to me sure. You don't have an alibi for any of the attacks, you're one of the only Beta's in the area with access to the information the traitor would need. It doesn't look good...."