-thirty two-

-charlie-

I woke up the next morning by a honking horn outside my window.

I groaned and opened the blinds.

There stood Alex and James standing next to each other grinning.

"What are you two losers doing?" I asked.

"That's kind of a rude way to address your boyfriend and your best friend Charlotte." James said smirking.

I groaned.

"I'm coming give me ten minutes." I said.

I heard the two of them laugh from outside.

I quickly got dressed and tried to do something with my hair.

I quickly glanced out the window.

It was late November and it was normally ice cold by now, but it was strangely warmer this season. It was like a crisp cool, like one of those fall mornings where you could barely see your breath until the day heated up a little. I always loved this weather.

I looked down at the two of them. Alex was wearing a blue and white checkered shirt. His dark hair was brushed back across his head and his icy blue eyes were locked on his phone.

James was wearing a long sleeve nirvana sweatshirt. He had his worn out jeans on and he had his old boots kicked up on the dash board. His green eyes were screwed shut and his feet were tapping away to what ever song was playing in his earbuds.

I grabbed my coat and walked downstairs.

"So whats up?" I asked walking outside.

"Well uh." Alex said looking over disappointingly at James.

"What?" I asked looking back over to James.

"Well here's the thing Charlie, my grandma is sick and uh, we have to go back to London." James said frowning and looking at the ground.

"For how long?" I asked franticly.

"A month, maybe more." He said his eyes finding their way back to mine.

"When are you leaving?" I asked.

"Today. I'm meeting my mom at the airport in an hour." He said.

"We thought you might want to come." Alex said wrapping his arm around my shoulders and rubbing my arm.

I nodded trying to hold in the tears that I felt were forming in my eyes.

I got in the backseat and rested my head against the window.

"So dude, what's wrong with your grandma?" Alex asked getting into the car and shut the door.

"She has cancer, she's had it for a while now but she's old and she's the last thing we have left of my dad." James said looking back at me and slightly smiling.

"We were never really close with her, I only met her a few times when we visited her there." James said.

I still can't believe that my best friend was leaving for a month.

As we pulled up to the airport, I felt my heart sink.

James looked back at me and half smiled.

Alex and I got out of the car and helped James with his bags.

I stood outside the car and pulled my hair behind my ear.

We walked into the airport as James pulled his suitcase behind him with one earbud stuck in his ear and the other hanging from his shirt.