-fifty-

-james-

It took me completely off guard when Charlie told me she was still in love with me.

I had thought that after all I had put her through, she'd be done, so utterly done with me and my shit excuses.

I didn't know how to respond to her, I knew I was still in love with her too, but was it even right to get back together?

Wouldn't she be better off without me?

I mean she's leaving for college in a few months and won't even need me soon.

So I kept my mouth shut about how much I love her, for her own sake.

It was mainly silent for the rest of the evening, except for us talking to a few of our friends.

We had left pretty early, besides the fact that Jake and McKenna had begged us to come to an after party with them, but I could just tell from the look in Charlie's eyes how uncomfortable she was.

Then we left and got back to the apartment.

She sighed as soon as we walked through the door.

"Well I'm gonna get my stuff together and then I'll be out of your hair." She said picking up her makeup and hair brushes.

I nodded, silently.

"Listen, I'm really glad we had this time together after all that we've been through, it's good to know you're still the same guy you were before." She said smiling.

"Hey it's alright," I said walking her towards the door.

"Well. hopefully I'll see you before I leave for college." She said looking down.

"And if not, message me in 20 years telling me about your kids and your life since, since us." She said without making eye contact.

I knew if we made eye contact I'd see her crying and then I'd cry and it would just be a hot mess.

"I'll see you around? Okay?" I asked.

She nodded and looked up at me, of course there was a big tear in her puffy brown eyes.

She quickly wiped it and walked out the door before giving me the chance to say anything else.

I slid my back up against the door and sighed.

"What did I just do?" I asked aloud to myself.

What the fuck? I still love her, if not more than before and I just let her walk out of my apartment with another word, or me trying to fight for us at all?

I quickly opened the door.

"Charlie?" I called out getting her attention from across the hallway.

She stood confused as I ran up to her.

"I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, and neither do you. We're both being stubborn assholes and I'm sick of it." I said grabbing her by her waist and pulling her lips towards mine.

Once our lips connected, I felt home again.

I knew that if I stayed with her, she'd be my home, my rock, and I wouldn't call some damn apartment building that I lease my home ever again.

The only place I feel home is with her.

She wrapped her arms around my neck and I lifted her up and carried her back into our apartment.

She dropped her things at the door as I set her down on the counter.

My hands fumbled with the strap of her dress and pulled it down to the floor.