-thirty nine-

-james-

I looked over at my phone to notice it was almost midnight.

I placed it down on the couch.

It was almost February 11th which means in eight minutes I would be eighteen.

I wasn't all that excited about leaving high school and going to college.

Just the thought of going to college made me cringe.

Once the clock struck midnight I sighed.

18.

I heard a knock on the door which truly surprised me.

I got up and opened it to see Charlie holding a single cupcake and a gift in her hands.

"You are such a loser you know that?" I said laughing and pulling her close to my chest.

She made me blow out the candle and then we sat on the couch.

"Open it." She said referring to the neatly wrapped gift in her hands.

I opened it to see a tan uke with a bow on top of it.

"Look on the back." Charlie said carefully turning it over to reveal a tiny engraving:

'xoxo charlie'

"Charlie it's so cute." I said smiling in her direction.

"And this-" she said handing me a card.

I opened it and began to read.

"My wife,

The love of my life.

My heart and soul,

My best friend,

My inspiration,

And most importantly, my love,

I can't imagine a life when you're not standing there by my side.

I love you.

Happy birthday."

I started laughing about how she remembered the cheesy card we had found months before.

"Thank you Charlie, I love you." I said hugging her.

"I love you too." She said laughing.

"Wanna watch a movie? It's your birthday!" She said pulling a blanket up to her chest.

I nodded.

So we watched all the classics;

'Star Wars'

'The Breakfast club'

And from what I found out her personal favorite 'Titanic'

Towards the end of Titanic I looked over to see Charlie wiping away tear after tear.

"Babe it's just a movie." I said.

"I know it's just this movie. Every time I watch it I cry. Just the whole story line makes me sad." she said.

"Jack jack!" I said mocking the annoying bird who's name I found out was Rose.

She shoved my chest but began laughing instead of crying, which I found to be quite more enjoyable.

She laid her head on my shoulder and slowly shut her eyes.

"If you fall asleep on my birthday I'll never let you forget it little girl." I said gently rubbing her shoulder.