when the party's over

"The world runs on fossil fuel. I mean,how stupid is that?" Dr. Jenner asked. "Let me tell you—" Shane said as he followed Dr. Jenner but Rick interrupted,"To hell with it,Shane." "I don't even care." Shane said. Rick turned towards the group and he said,"Lori,grab our things. Everyone,get your stuff. We're getting out of here now!" Everyone started running,but they stopped when alarms started blaring. "What's that?" Carl asked. "30 minutes to decontamination." "Doc,what's going on here?" Daryl asked. "Everybody, y'all heard Rick. Get your stuff and let's go! Go now! Go!" Shane shouted. Suddenly,a big metal door sealed the entrance. "Did you just lock us in?" Glenn asked. "He just locked us in!" Barbara exclaimed. Daryl tried to attack Dr. Jenner,but Shane kept him back. Rick walked up to Dr. Jenner and he said,"Hey,Jenner,open that door now." "There's no point. Everything topside is locked down. The emergency exits are sealed." Dr. Jenner said. "Well,open the damn things." Daryl said. "That's not something I control. The computers do. I told you once that front door closed,it wouldn't open again. You heard me say that. It's better this way." Dr. Jenner said. "What is? What happens in 28 minutes?" Barbara asked. Dr. Jenner didn't answer and Rick yelled,"What happens in 28 minutes?!" "You know what this place is?! We protect the public from very nasty stuff! Weaponized smallpox! Ebola strains that could wipe out half the country! Stuff you don't want getting out! Ever!" Dr. Jenner shouted. Carmen whimpered from the screaming and shouted. She hugged her mother and Barbara said to her daughter,"It's okay,baby,Momma's here." "In the event of a catastrophic power failure — in a terrorist attack,for example — H.I.T.s are deployed to prevent any organisms from getting out." Dr. Jenner said. "H.I.T.s?" Rick asked. "VI,define." Dr. Jenner said. "H.I.T.s — high-impulse thermobaric fuel-air explosives consist of a two-stage aerosol ignition that produces a blast wave of significantly greater power and duration than any other known explosive except nuclear. The vacuum-pressure effect ignites the oxygen at between 5,000° and 6,000° and is useful when the greatest loss of life and damage to structures is desired." "It sets the air on fire. No pain. An end to sorrow,grief...regret. Everything." Dr. Jenner said. Carol and Sophia were crying. "Oh,my God." Barbara said with tears in her eyes. "Mommy,I don't wanna die." Carmen said and Barbara hugged her daughter while saying,"I know. I know. We all don't wanna die."

"Open that damn door!" Daryl shouted. "Out of my way!" Shane shouted and he ran up to the big metal door. He tried breaking the door down with an axe and Daryl was helping him. Lori and Carol were crying with their children. "You should've left well enough alone. It would've been so much easier." Dr. Jenner said. "Easier for who?" Barbara asked. "All of you. You know what's out there – a short,brutal life and an agonizing death," Dr. Jenner turn towards Carmen and he asked,"Your — your best friend — what was their name?" "Solaná Imani Rowe." Carmen answered. "Solaná. You know what this does. You've seen it," Dr. Jenner said and he looked at Barbara,"Do you really want this for your daughter?"  "I don't want this." Barbara said, empathetically. "Can't make a dent." Shane said. "Those doors are designed to withstand a rocket launcher." Dr. Jenner said. "Yeah,but your head ain't!" Daryl said and he held up his axe. "Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! Daryl! Daryl!" The men yelled as they tried to keep Daryl back from attacking Dr. Jenner. "You do want this. Last night you said. You knew it was just a matter of time before everybody you loved was dead." Dr. Jenner said to Rick. "What?" Lori asked with her eyes widened. "What? You really said that? After all your big talk?" Shane asked. "I had to keep hope alive, didn't I?" Rick asked. "There is no hope. There never was." Dr. Jenner said. "There's always hope. Maybe it won't be you,maybe not here,but somebody somewhere –" Rick said,but Andrea asked,"What part of "Everything is gone" do you not understand?" "Listen to your friend. She gets it. This is what takes us down. This is our extinction event." Dr. Jenner said. "This isn't right," Carol sobbed,"you can't just keep us here." "One tiny moment – a millisecond. No pain." Dr. Jenner said. "My daughter doesn't deserve to die like this." Barbara said. "Wouldn't it be kinder,more compassionate to just hold your loved ones and wait for the clock to run down?" Dr. Jenner asked. Shane cocked his shotgun and he pointed it at Dr. Jenner while saying,"Open that door or I'm gonna blow your head off. Do you hear me?!" Sophia,Carol,Carl,and Lori instantly ran behind Rick. Barbara got her gun out and she pointed it at Shane and Teddy started barking in Jacqui's arm. "Brother,brother,this is not the way you do this. We will never get out of here." Rick said. "Shane,you listen to him." Lori said. "He dies,we all–" Rick said,but Shane yelled in anger. He turned his gun to the computers and he kept on pulling the trigger. Everyone ducked down and a tear ran down Carmen's right cheek. Rick grabbed Shane's shotgun and Rick elbowed Shane in the chest,making him fall. T-Dog took the shotgun from Rick and Carmen was shaking. "I think you're lying," Rick said to Dr. Jenner,"you're lying about if that were true, you'd have bolted with the rest or taken the easy way out. You didn't. You chose the hard path. Why?" "It doesn't matter." Dr. Jenner said. "It does matter. It always matters. You stayed when others ran. Why?" Rick asked. "Not because I wanted to. I made a promise....to her. My wife." Dr. Jenner said. "Test subject 19 was your wife?" Lori asked. "She begged me to keep going as long as I could. How could I say no? She was dying. It should've been me on that table. I wouldn't have mattered to anybody. She was a loss to the world. Hell,she ran this place. I just worked here. In our field,she was an Einstein. Me? I'm just.....Edwin Jenner. She could've done something about this. Not me." Dr. Jenner said. "Your wife didn't have a choice. You do. That's — that's all we want — a choice,a chance." Rick said. Daryl was still trying to pry open the door,but it didn't work. "Let us keep trying as long as we can." Lori said. Dr. Jenner sighed,"I told you topside's locked down. I can't open those." A tear ran down Barbara's right cheek and suddenly,the metal door opened. "Come on! Let's go!" Daryl yelled. Everyone, except Andrea and Jacqui,ran to the exit. Teddy jumped out of Jacqui's arms and ran along with the group. Dale also stayed with Andrea.