Chapter Two: Summer

The next day goes pretty much the same way as before. Maria's new found interest in me is exciting. She tries something new with my eyes and braids my hair in a loose braid.
We have at least five clothing changes before she finds something in my suitcase she didn't want to donate to Goodwill.  Maria says, my clothes don't match my face anymore.  She vows, we will go shopping for girl appropriate clothes.

Why am I so excited by this? The old Tia never wanted to dress to impress before. Because Tia, if you run into Torri without your cousins around, maybe he will stare at you some more.  Athena quirks an eyebrow at me.  Or here's a thought, maybe he will talk to me. I yell back at Athena, the inner Greek lady.

The mall takes long. Maria does not like anything I pick out.  I love everything she picks out. This is the most time Maria and I have ever spent together ever. A relationship with her was always out of my reach. This summer I feel like we are becoming more than family, but friends.
When we return, I put on jean shorts and a teal tank top.  The outfit is a little revealing for me, but I'm willing to throw caution to the wind.  My backpack holds my basketball clothes in case we play today. Maria would kill me for playing ball in this outfit.

Basketball is my world.  I intend to make the high school team this year. My love of the game drives my passion. The school team will finally be my time to shine. I can feel it.
I leave my Aunt's house and head to the Center wishing I am bold enough to go to Torri's house. Not happening, but if I walk by, he might be somewhere in the area. I head up the hill and turn down his street.

Singing in my head and not paying attention where I am going, I run into something solid then I hear, "What the hell?" muttered. It takes me a few moments to recover because I am staring into those beautiful green eyes.

"Sorry, I am in another world". I say as confident as my new found attitude will allow me to be.
"Oh its you." and with that Torri continues walking.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean." I yell back.  Wait is that me?  As he turns around, I can see the shock on his face. Steve must have told Torri what a good girl I am. Bet he didn't expect me to respond to him.  He probably thought I'd run scared.  Something in me tells me to shut up and walk on. I really need to listen to myself more. But my inner Athena is standing strong.

"You sure you are allowed to be talking that way. One of your many Dads might hear you." Torri stares at me.

"My dads?" Lifting my brows quizzically.  I am thoroughly confused. Last check, I have one dad and he is in Virginia.  The weird look on my face causes him to stop and stare.  

"Yeah you know your five cousins," he says angrily. I am new at boys but I still don't understand why everyone is angry at me. I wonder what my cousins said or did yesterday.

They never pay any attention to me other than to let me tag along because I am family.  I am their little, sweet, meek Cousin.  They are in for a surprise because I don't want meek to be me anymore.

"Well I could have said Fuck but I really don't like that word." I try to hide my astonishment at myself and put on a cocky eyebrow raise to accent the statement.

Torri stares at me wide eyed. I am sure my family painted a picture of pig tails and lace but nope not me anymore. I say a silent Thank you to Maria. "Your mouth will get you in trouble one day if you are not careful, Tia." Torri tells me like I should be intimidated by him.  He is so wrong.

"Oh yeah, well maybe trouble should head my way and I will see what I can do with it." With that I strut..yes strut.. away and go to the rec center. I am proud of myself for leaving him standing on the sidewalk gaping at me.