Chapter Seven: Summer

Torri and I were not alone again until Friday night. Maria goes through her closet and I end up with some new clothes. Nice expensive new clothes.  The relationship we have built this summer is awesome.  I finally feel as though we have bridged the gap.  I hope we stay this way.Aunt Mary wants to go shopping too. I insist I don't need anything. She insists I do. "Boys, Tia I have boys. Please let me spoil a girl." She proceeds to buy me two new pairs of sandals, Urban Decay's Heat palette and some jewelry. We shop till we drop and stay out most of the day.

For my last night in the city, Aunt Mary decides to take all the kids to the Drive In Movie Theater. There is only one left in Baltimore. Might be the only one left in the world. Everything is old-fashion and outdoors. There is a speaker to hang on a car window or an app you listen to from your phone with headphones in order to hear the movie. The cool thing is you can talk and no one will shhh you.

The last summer night could almost be perfect if my cousins would let me grow up. As I'm waiting to go, I fantasize about this being my first date with Torri. We hold hands and laugh. He kisses me every now and again. We watch some romantic movie that he complains about. We would laugh the whole night and have fun.

"Earth to Tia. Are you good with that?" one of the boys asks. Oh brother, should I agree? I missed the whole conversation. I shrug, it seems the most I can commit to. The boys pick an action movie. I figure that was what they were going to do anyway. The movie is not my main priority tonight. My main priority is the green eyed boy in the living room.

Maria gave me a trendy pair of jean shorts and a top. My hair goes up in a top knot to expose my neck. Manipulate. I am feeling good and I vow to spend the last night with Torri somehow/ someway. In the living room, I get the typical "go change" and "you are not going out like that". Aunt Mary shoots them down really quickly. She is my savoir. "Boys, she's perfect. Leave her be."

When we get to the drive in, the boys prop their lawn chairs up and set in to watch the film. They opt for the speaker and place both of them in the center of the circle. I, on the other hand, wander off. I find a playground next to the concession stand that is old and a little rusty but start to swing anyway. What's a little adventure when you are trying to lure the boy of your dreams over. After a moment, my swing gets a gigantic push. I turn around laughing and Torri is smiling down at me. "How come we always find a playground?"

"Because that is all in Baltimore that is as innocent as you are," he smirks and I kick at him under the swinging seat. He looks around and stops my swing abruptly. The kiss is long and hard.  I am smiling and laughing when we break away. This feeling of euphoria washes over me. This is a perfect moment in my life. He is here with me. If I could, I would freeze this moment. Instead, I file it away to bring out for a rainy day.

Torri's face drops suddenly. No..No..No.. don't ruin it. Please. Following his gaze, I am staring into the eyes of an angry George. Oh shit. "What the hell, Tor. I knew something was up, but I thought you had more sense then to screw with my cousin." He clenches his fist.

Stumbling off the swing and standing my ground in front of him, I say "What the hell Georgie." and get ready for a fight. My fear turns into anger. I am not a little girl anymore. I don't want to be meek. I am strong. Strong enough to tell my cousins to go to the devil. But Torri..Oh My God Torri.. I need to get him out of this somehow.

George turns and looks at Torri, "That is my younger cousin, dick. What the hell gives you the right to kiss her?" Before either of us can speak, George goes on "You are not good enough for her. You know that man. She lives in a big house in Virginia and you live here in a row home in the city. You are city trash and she is country royalty. What the hell is this? I knew you were gonna try something with her. Steve swore up and down you weren't that STUPID. But I knew it. Say SOMETHING." He yells and grabs Torri by the shirt.