Chapter Four: Summer

The days pass by with not one of my cousins giving me some alone time when I am out of the house. There must have been meeting of the minds and they left me out. I am passed between them with no say in my life. George, John and Jim taught me how to play soccer. Stevie and Mike, played baseball with me at the center. Any of them or all of them would walk me to and from every day. And Torri, Torri would show up every now and again just to disappear throughout the day. He never even makes eye contact with me.

Sunday is the best day yet of this two week stay. The sun is shining. The air is hot. We are all heading to the lake park outside the city. The lake is a waterpark of sorts. There are tree swings and picnic areas and a ton of people. A little like a beach with trees. I put my one piece bathing suit on under my Nike shorts, and didn't bother with a shirt. The afternoon was already hot and my cousin's house is five blocks from Yiayia's. The one piece is black with the sides cut out and gathers at my bust with a gold clip.

When I am close to my cousins house, this perfect voice cuts into my thoughts, "Oh No not today. God Dammit Girl, when are you going to wear clothes?" Why does this keep on happening? He keeps on sneaking up behind me when my mind is in a daze. I am going to get mugged one of these days. I can't think of a retort so I keep on walking. His voice stuns me into submission.

"Where is your shirt?" Torri says yelling down the block. Walk Tia and ignore. "Hey Tia, Oh Tia, Why are your tits on display for the world to see." Oh that's it. I spin around expecting him to be half a block away from me, but instead run smack dab into him.

Recovering quickly this time, I yell, "I am wearing a bathing suit, Daddy. I promise you, my suit covers a lot more than you have seen from other girls." My anger over what he has been doing the past few days consumes me.

"Ha, you are funny. I won't even have to say anything. Stevie, will make sure you cover up." He retorts.

"Last time I checked, Steve is my cousin not my chaperone. I am going to the lake. The lake is water. Water is wet. Hence, the bathing suit." I make a show of running my hands from my shoulders to my legs. Take that and I turn on my heel and head inside. When I open the front door of the row home and go to shut it, Torri steps inside too.

"Where are you going?" I stammer.

"Why the lake of course. You know the place that has water." Torri pushes past me into the house. Oh just great..Well really just great. He is spending the day with us. My excitement at this admission is contained, but barely. "Aunt Mary, I am here." There is nothing left to say to him that I want the others to hear.

"Tia, what a cute bathing suit. It suits you. The boys are out back. We will leave in five. Hey Tor." She says and finishes packing the picnic lunch. I turn a wide grin on him and stick my tongue out. Torri says nothing and proceeds to walk to the back of the house and out the door.

The time at the lake is the epitome of summer fun. Stolen glances and splashing games. Laughter and fun in the sun. Lots of boys all around. Lots of flirting. I stay in the water most of the day on a raft Aunt Mary gave me. I'm no fool so I lounge with the back propped up. Better to watch all the guys swimming by in the water. The boys swim to and from me. Steve and Mike enjoy splashing me. Much to their disappointment, I didn't mind. The water felt nice on my hot skin. Torri came by one time and flipped the raft. I was up out of the water laughing. I got back up on the raft with resignation. He is too large and there are too many eyes to try to get him back. We picnic on the bank of the lake about midafternoon. After that, we play Rummie with Aunt Mary. Jim winning of course. He is always the most competitive of us all.

Finally when the sunsets, the day becomes magical. The sky lights up with a pink glow and shines on the water. I am drawn to the bank of the lake taking my blanket to sit and watch it set. Torri's eyes follow me, but the cousins are around. Water always helps me think so the alone time is welcome.