Chapter Nine: Summer

Brandi and I don't meet with the boys at all the rest of the week. That is perfectly fine with me. I like Gary, Jake and Tommy but Randy.. Randy needs to stay away from me.  By the time Friday rolls around she is dying. "Tim text messages me all the time. He keeps on making excuses as to why we can't meet up. Do you think he likes me?" Brandi whines as she's lying on her bed. I am staying the night at Brandi's tonight and we are to go to the Block later on with her sister.

The Block is literally a block. People park on each side with a medium in between. We play music from cars and phones. People walk the Block or drive. It's a place for teens to get into trouble in the country. A place to be seen. This will be my first time going since Brandi's sister didn't think we were old enough until now.

"Bran, I don't know. I am not very skilled in boys. You know that. I think he is crazy if he doesn't like you."

"God Tia, why can't you say yes he likes you? At least my confidence would be up." Brandi whines.

"Yes Brandi, I think he likes you." I roll my eyes. We dress in silence. Both lost in our thoughts when my cell phone buzzes. I see "T" flash across my screen and I smile. There has been no text from him since I left. Giddiness takes over my face.  What a geek you are, Tia?   Yes Athena, I am a ditz.

Brandi doesn't miss much. "T? Who is T?"

"One of my cousin's friends in Baltimore. Steve forgot his phone." I tell Brandi. I want to hurry and open the message, but I don't want Brandi in on my summer secret. I like the bubble that is Torri and I.

Brandi shrugs and heads to the bathroom to put on makeup. Once she's gone, I scan the screen quickly. "Thinking about our kisses. Closet door is cracked tonight. You mind?" -T

I smile and text back, "No, don't mind. Getting ready to head out. The door can crack anytime you think of me."-Tia.

I snap a picture of my really short shorts, hitting send before I can think about it. Brandi walks in right as  I put my phone in my back pocket. It buzzes quite a few times.  I add heavy black eyeliner to my lids, red on my lips and spray my face with the dewy setting spray. Not as perfect as Maria but the overall touches are pretty damn good. My outfit consists of wearing a black tshirt that is cut real low and an amazing pair of short shorts. The sunburn from the lake in Baltimore has become a golden bronze tan.  There are no "dads" in Virginia. I can wear what I want. Shoot speaking of Dads, I glance at my phone. There are two text messages from Torri, "WTF Tia" and "Where are you going dressed like that?"

I reply as Brandi is telling her sister that we are ready. "Out with friends. Don't you wish you were here to police me." -Tia.

"Um GO CHANGE." -T. He sends back in a millisecond.

"Nope. Talk to you later."-Tia. I ignore my phone and put it back in my pocket. Flirting with Torri this way is so much fun. I can't pull my phone out while we are in the car there are too many eyes on me. It is buzzing nonstop for the 30 minute drive.  Brandi's sister pulls up to a parking space in the middle of the block and we all jump out.  The night feels amazing.  There is a breeze so it is not dreadfully hot. The atmosphere is buzzed.  There are teenagers everywhere.  This would not be the old Tia's scene but the new me, I am diving right in.

I try to peek at Torri's text, but Brandi catches me on my phone. "Put the phone away Tia and let's walk.  I want to find Tim." I follow her down to the end of the street and we cross.  "I don't see him anywhere." Brandi whines.

"Don't see him either.  Oh wait, Brandi, he is back by your sister's car." 

"Let's play it off.  We will walk down a little ways and cross.  Keep an eye on him." Brandi commands. Brandi and I start the game plan and walk a little ways down on the side we are on.