Chapter Six: Summer

I had a rough night sleep tossing and turning all night worrying about my cousin. No one called or texted last night.

I'm going downstairs to find out if Yiayia received any phone calls. She wakes up early every day to make breakfast, so she is probably in the kitchen. Of course, she is standing by the stove making eggs for Papou. "Good Morning, Yiayia. How did you sleep?" I am trying to see if she knows without asking.

She seems to be acting normal. "Fine Dear. Want some breakfast."

"No just some coffee. I'll get it."

A few minutes later, I send Steve a text. Steve is in fact fine. He replies "all is good". Thanks for the damn update cuz. Since my Yiayia doesn't receive a stressful phone call from my aunt, I assume no adult found out about the fight either.

I will put it out of my mind and pretend like it never happened. That way I can stay in my bubble. Naive but I'm a country girl and do not want the city to take me.

Today my stress level is high because I'm not use to lying. I need to come up with a plan to make this happen without my Dads. Thinking long and hard over breakfast, I try to come up with any excuse. I finally decide I will just wing it and head to Maria's house.

At the house, everyone is sitting at the breakfast table. I walk in and move to the counter to grab another cup of coffee. "Jim, John, Steve, Mike and I are going to the mall today. Do you want to come?" George spoons cereal into his mouth.

What..holy heck how did I get so lucky with an out like this. I crinkle my nose at him. "Mall with boys..no thanks. I am gonna see if St. Nick's bball team is practicing today. Maybe they will let me spy on them, lol."

Ed, the rec director, coaches the church basketball team which happens to be our church's biggest rival. He told me on several occasions if they are not running plays, he would love for me to give the girls someone to compete against.

George says, "Suit yourself, but don't whine. We will be gone all day."

Oh no whining here, but I pretend to pout. I can't lie but I can manipulate.

He whispers to me, "Steve needs out of the neighborhood."

Ohhhh, Now I know why I got so lucky. "No biggie." I think George is a little skeptical to leave me to fend for myself. I quickly remind him, "I am fine. I am going to hang at the Center all day."

Maria is still in her room, so I go up before they change their minds. "Hey cuz, you want to do the makeover thingy again. I need a pick me up today." I look at her pitifully. Manipulate, my inner Athena agrees.

"Yeah, you guys are leaving on Saturday right?" She asks putting on mascara.

"I think so. Mom and Dad will need to be back for work and they are coming in Friday night." How did these two weeks go by so fast? It is Wednesday. Push it to the back of your mind, Tia.
"How 'bout you and me go buy you your own makeup tomorrow. I have plans for today. It will be my congrats for starting High School. You will be in new clothes and new makeup. Maybe, we will dye your hair if your mom approves."  Dye my hair. Well, I always wanted to be a redhead.

"Oh, I would love it. I need to be more girly before I start high school. All the other girls are way ahead of me." I admit to her and only her.

"You got this. Makeup enhances you. I wish you realize how beautiful you are."

The makeovers are taking less time to complete now that we both know what to expect. I am ready within 45 minutes. Accented, enhanced and dressed as the new Tia.