Chapter Twenty: Fall to Winter- Freshmen Year

Jim and I are late on Monday for school. Missing Torri gives me this overwhelming pain and getting out of bed seems daunting. All weekend, he was fun and lighthearted, once of course, we got past the two date nights with Phillip.

We arrive really close to the bell. I assume Gary, Jake and Randy waited and moved on.  Everyone is in class already. Jim and I part ways and I open the door to the inside building.  As I enter the hall and pass these two girls, I hear them discussing Phillip. "I don't understand what he saw in her. She wasn't his type. She looked like a tramp in those dresses." one said and I slowed my pace. "Yeah what kind of name is Athena anyway." Turning around to open my mouth, I thought for a second.  Its no not worth bringing Athena back into the limelight. Let's let her rest. You did your job for Phillip, Athena. I turn back around and head to class.

In my Journalism Class, two dozen perfect yellow tea roses wrapped in cellophane were delivered. "Tia" Mrs. Hall says and hands them to me. The girl next to me gasps. Phillip wrote on the note. "Right choice. Thank you, Athena." So much for putting Athena to bed. Best laid plans. Thanks Phillip. The rumor spread to my next two classes. By the time I am at lunch, the whole school is buzzing about Tia being Athena.

It's a little chilly out but I'm not ready to sit inside.  I try to head to a spot near the trees when the Boys spot me.  They are at the table with Brandi, Jamie, Tim, Randy and Tommy. I can't take them today. All these rumors buzzing about me is enough peopling for me today.  My thought is to turn tail and walk away.  Not that Tia anymore.  Athena chimes in again today.  She's right.  I hold my head up and walk straight for my table. 

"Hey girl, those flowers are the talk of the school." Brandi comments. Phillip would pick the one day my locker is on the other side of campus.   These are the first words Brandi has spoken to me in a long time. My defenses go up. I carry the flowers over to the table and take my seat on top of the table.

Jamie sneers, "Not as much as Phillips' date Athena is."

Oh Brother, "Guess the cats out of the bag. Damn. I was hoping to bury her." I mumble.

"Poor Tia, now the whole school knows. What's the shy girl going to do?" Jamie looks at Brandi with a smile. Why are they here? Athena rears her ugly head.

I feel hands rest on my shoulders. Randy whispers, "Hey beautiful. Those flowers don't compare to you. You should throw them in the trash. Want me to help?" I laugh. Oh He's good. Jealous much.

Gary and Jake spend the lunch time telling me about their weekend. We don't mean to exclude the others but our conversation flows between us.  Brandi and Jamie don't say another word to me. Please tell me today is the end of their lunchtime slumming. I hope they take the hint this group is not for them any longer.

When the bell rings, my Boys flank me as they always do.  Brandi and Jamie follow Randy with the rest of the crew. His classes are on the other side of campus. I again walk a little slower but this time so does Randy.  He takes my hand and kisses it before he turns off.  Brandi and Jamie follow him.  Brandi tells me she'll call me later. The Boys laugh when I almost fall on my face.

Jake thinks he is funny, "Careful don't want to crush those flowers."

"Do you guys know why they want to talk to me now? They haven't been my friends for a while. In fact, I think Jamie liked Randy or maybe she still does." No one gives me an answer. The Boys drop me off at the gym and head to class.

The gym is a buzz with talk of the flowers and Athena. Putting the flowers in my locker, I start practicing and block out the white noise. The Varsity boys are taking the big court today. We are in the little gym. Phillip gives me a nod but he's on the court. He is focused on the pick drill so I smile back and head to practice.  The workout is brutal for me. I hit 26 three pointers in a row and claim a two guard position. Coach said, I might start JV if I keep this up. This moment is what I have centered my life around. A starting position.