6

Fred

I studied Meredith. Every inch of her, I studied.

The blonde hair, tan skin, unnaturally long legs. She was built like a supermodel.

I also studied Cindy when I was with her.

Did they really look like Alexis?

Her name couldn't even make it past my lips. It pained me to even think about her, but I had no choice since Jo had brought it up.

Meredith had subtly checked herself in the mirror every chance she got. She probably thought she had something on her shirt, or her makeup wasn't perfect. I'd stared at her most of the day.

"M-Mr. King?"

I looked up from my laptop, my eyebrows raised. "Hm?"

Meredith bit down on her bottom lip. "Your coffee."

She held it out to me and I grabbed it, smiling up at her. "Thank you."

She nodded. "I-I thought you could use it. It's been a long day."

"Sit," I ordered, nodding towards the chair in front of my desk.

Her eyes went round for a split second before she quietly cleared her throat, doing as I said. She crossed her right leg over her left.

"Why aren't you at home?" I asked, taking a sip of my coffee as I typed out a document.

She shrugged. "I just had some work to do."

I closed my laptop. "Can I drive you home, or anything?"

She chewed on her bottom lip. "I have a question, Mr. King."

"I told you, it's Fred after five P.M."

"Mr. Fr-"

"Fred," I said, smiling at her.

"Fred," she said, "you've been looking at me all day. I-is there something wrong?"

I smiled, standing up. I walked over to my window, leaning against it. "You know, views are one of my indulgences."

I could feel her eyes on me.

"Which is why I hired you."

She cleared her throat and I turned around to face her.

"So no, there's nothing wrong," I said.

Which was a bit of a lie. She reminded me of my ex girlfriend of nearly five years.

She just nodded, tucking a chunk of hair behind her ear. "I-I was just making sure."

Meredith knew she was a looker, but I wasn't sure that she knew just how much of a looker she was. She seemed insecure but only when she wasn't in a room full of men. She was powerful, and could easily hold her own in a room full of egotistical businessmen, but when she was alone, or just at her desk, she was the complete opposite.

"Do you worry what people think of you?" I asked.

She just looked up at me.

"I'm curious," I said, nodding, "I'm not trying to poke and prod into your personal business."

"S-sometimes, yeah," she said, nodding.

"Why, Mere?" I asked, shaking my head.

She shrugged. "The women in Chicago? Yeah, let me know when it's not difficult to compete with them."

I just furrowed my brows together. "You're worried about competing with other women?"

She stuttered on her words that she couldn't form to save her life currently.