24

Lena

I stared at my phone in disbelief.

[From: Jackson]
I'm in Seattle. We need to talk.

I hadn't even made it out of bed yet. I hadn't even put on underwear yet, and Jackson had decided to text me?

No.

I looked at the clock on my nightstand. What time was the soonest flight I could get out of Seattle?

It was 10:15 A.M., on the dot. I did the math in my head.

Maybe three P.M.? That's with getting ready, packed, to the a-

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard a soft knock on my door. My eyes went round.

Jackson hadn't found out where I was staying, had he?

I stood up, wrapping my robe around my body. I held it close to me and tip-toed through my hotel room, my bottom lip in between my teeth.

I looked through the peephole on my door and pulled away in, yet again, disbelief when I saw Josiah standing there.

I angrily unlatched my door and ripped it open. "What do you not get-"

He pushed me inside and closed the door behind him. I looked up at him with knitted brows, my lips parted.

"H-h-how did you even find me?" I asked, shaking my head.

"Logan," he said, shrugging out of his jacket.

I couldn't help but to admire Josiah. With age, he was beginning to resemble his father. The chiseled face and body, the aura he held.

"I told him to not tell you," I muttered, walking into the kitchen.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

I turned to face him, my hands on my hips. I had absolutely no clue what he was talking about. "Probably because it's not your business."

His prominent jaw was now set in anger.

"Your engagement's off."

"That's not final."

"So your engagement's on?" He asked, cocking his head over.

I thought my answer through very carefully before answering him.

I leaned against the counter, shaking my head. "I don't know, Jo. You could give me time to figure it the hell out."

I hated being so brash with him, but Josiah King was hereditarily aggressive. He could barely understand any other language.

"I'm not letting him do that to you," he said, shaking his head.

"You're not letting him do what to me, Jo?"

"I don't have to know the guy to know he's a manipulator."

I looked over at him, chewing on my bottom lip.

"You're not with him because you love him," he said, shaking his head, "I know you, Lena. We grew into the people we are because of each other."

He walked towards me and I looked up at him, fear in my eyes. I wasn't scared of Jo, I was scared of his influence on me. There was no way I could let him talk me out of this, not knowing what I knew about Jackson.

He stopped in front of me, only an inch or two separating us. His grey eyes could talk me into anything on their own.

"If you think I'm going to let him treat you the way he does any longer," he began, his voice a low hum, his eyes boring into my own, "I'm sorry, Lena, but you're sadly mistaken."