22

Jo

I tapped my foot vigorously against the floor of the random coffee shop I'd wandered into, waiting on Lena to answer her phone.

"Pick up the goddamn phone, Lena," I muttered, my free hand tapping against the table.

I'd made sure to put on a disguise of normal civilian clothes. Sunglasses, a baseball cap, and a sweatsuit. Even though my influence wasn't abundant in California, people still knew of me. And I was here for one reason, and that reason was not to get noticed.

I let out an angry sigh and hung up, leaning my head back. I pulled off my sunglasses and rubbed my tired eyes.

"Sir, could I get you a coffee?"

I pulled my hand away from my eyes, looking up at the waitress hovering above me.

I cleared my throat and sat upright. "I'm good. Thank you."

She smiled and walked back over to the counter. I picked up my phone and almost tried Lena again, but I went for Logan's number instead. I hadn't even thought about calling him.

He picked up almost immediately. "Hello?"

"Hey, Logan."

He hesitated for a bit. "What do you need?"

"Maybe I just wanted to hear your voice," I joked, smiling.

He chuckled. "I'm flattered. But I know that's not the case."

"Lena," I said, "I need to speak to her."

"She won't pick up?"

"Nope," I answered, "all I want to do-"

"Jo, listen," he sighed, "she doesn't want you to know. She told me that if I told you, she wouldn't speak to either of us."

"Know what?" I asked, shaking my head.

"She's in Seattle," he answered.

"Why is she in Seattle?" I asked.

He hesitated for a second, and I could hear him shift around in his chair. "I don't know, Jo."

"And what if I came?" I asked.

"Why are you so adamant about speaking to her?"

"Because I need to make this right," I said, "I can't live with Lena being mad at me."

"She's mad at everyone right now, okay? Don't take it personal."

I leaned back in my seat, my hand on my jaw. "I'm coming to Seattle."

"Jo, that's not a good idea."

"I'm sure it isn't," I said, standing up. I grabbed my belongings and walked out of the coffee shop.

"Jo, she's in the middle of something," he said, shaking his head, "she's healing, okay? That was years of her life that she spent on that shitbag."

I stopped in my tracks, my free hand resting on my hips. "What do you mean?"

He was silent for a second. "You two really haven't spoken since then?"

"Logan, what are you talking about?" I asked, my jaw set.

He chuckled. "Her engagement's off, man."

I felt my stomach do a somersault.

"And that doesn't mean she's up for grabs," he said, "as much as I want you two together, I'm not allowing her to jump into something. Not even with you."