Chapter 2

It'd been two days since Iman answered a call or text from Nick; not because she didn't desire to speak with him, but she was embarrassed. See Iman had a string of bad relationships and a terrible fear of being rejected. Her confidence hadn't always been so high and like other overweight children, she suffered the scrutiny and ignorance of others throughout school. It wasn't until her junior year of high school that she learned to love herself properly and not allow naysayers and negativity sculpt who she was.

Iman was a 12th grade English teacher who absolutely admired her job and having a direct hand on the next generation. Although she was young, she was well respected. She taught in inner-city Atlanta and she was a role model to the girls who thought Instagram models were goals before she started her mentor program "I'm H.E.R.". The young ladies admired how she mastered code-switching and acted accordingly with no issues. She knew how to go from speaking with poise and crossing her legs properly to telling her students why they needed to stay away from the "no good ass little boys who only wanted to play between their legs".

Walking into work was always a relief, it was her haven. It felt like home. The kids loved when they saw her, because despite the dress code, she was always well dressed. Also, she made learning so desirable, because she was outrageously creative. But to top it all off, she worked with her bestfriend of 12 years and they shared the same passion for the upcoming youth.

"Maaannnnnnnn!" her bestfriend Kayla screamed. "You just don't know how not to be a hoodrat huh?" Iman laughed as she opened her classroom door. "Why didn't you tell me you were going be a hottie thottie this weekend? I saw your Instagram picture, you a big fine something chileee" Kayla whispered. "Thank you, I have to tell you about that dream turned into disaster during planning period. Let me get ready for the kiddos." Iman said. "Bet" Kayla said as she entered her classroom next to me.

"Good morning class, today's warm-up is a writing prompt. Remember, I will not judge you on what you write, but how you write it, and how well you articulate." Iman said as her students eagerly grabbed their journals.

"In 2 paragraphs, explain your definition of love, and what you believe is the difference between loving someone and being in love." she retorted.

Iman often related her kids warm-up prompts to real life situations, most of the time her real life situations. Haha!

"Ms. Jones, I wrote 2 paragraphs, but they ain't talmbout nun. Ion know nothing bout no love foreal. I know my Mama love me and I know my Daddy don't. I know my Mama hustled to make stuff happen and always getting me out of trouble... So that's all I know about love... Oh! And my girl act like she love me, but everytime I get jammed up, she laid up with some grown dude. I'm not stupid". Tyheem said with his mouth crooked and his head turned to the side.

"Well that was heavy love, but at least you're aware of what genuine love is and what convenient love is. Who's next?" Iman said as 5 kids eagerly raised their hands. Joanna, go ahead, what do you have for us babygirl. "Well Ms. Jones, I listen to you a lot. I also watch a lot of your podcast on YouTube and I've learned a lot about love from you. But my interpretation of love? Love is unknowing, it can also be blind. I don't think I've ever felt real love, but I've definitely displayed it. My favorite love comes from men though, that probably isn't even healthy but it's real and I know I can be real with you." Joanna said as she closed her journal.

"I'm flattered that you admire me love, but we will definitely chat offline about one of the points you made. Niya is over here bugging me to read my definition so here we go... Telling someone the God honest truth even though it will probably hurt them? That's love. Compromising how and what you feel because you can't be without a person? That's love. Loving someone even when they fail to treat you how you feel you should be treated? That... yeah that's definitely love. Waking up, thanking God for waking you up then having an image of that person pop up in your head and you smile and your morning breath slaps you in the face? That's love. Love is unconditional, it has no limits and no boundaries. It has no respect of person, it is inevitable. Love is forgiveness. Love is looking at someone and hating even thinking about seeing them with someone else. I could go all day guys, let me get into my lesson!" Iman laughed as she felt herself getting emotional... It was time to call Nick, the conversation needed to be had.