Chapter 8

Joanna

"Please return my calls, reply to a text, or even send an email. I have to tell you something important. Plus I miss you. I just want you to hold.." I was saying on his voicemail as I heard Ms. Jones' front door shut. I quickly ended the phone call and slid back down under the covers. Ms. Jones told me I could stay at her house until Monday. She had a great relationship with my parents since they'd known her all of her life from church, so me staying her was the furthest thing from suspicious.

I decided to get an abortion for one reason and one reason only... Softball was my first love and the only way I'd escape the hell hole I called home and I couldn't jeopardize that.

"Jo, you up?" Ms. Jones quietly asked as she peeped her head into the room.

"Yes ma'am. In a little pain, but I have to eat to take the medicine. I was going to try to get back down the stairs, but I'm really sore. I couldn't sleep well, because I keep hearing babies cry in my sleep. I'm miserable." I admitted.

"Well how about this? I cooked earlier, so I'll bring you something to put on your stomach. And I'll come lay in here with you until you're sleeping for a while." She said smiling small.

"You are really going beyond the call of duty for me. When I make it big, I'm going to repay you, I swear." I said honestly.

"Girl all I want you to do is graduate high school, dominate the softball field, and graduate college without getting caught up in men." Ms. J said while walking out of the room.

It's crazy how someone could bend over backwards for you and you didn't even share the same blood. She's amazing.