Mia

Stephen walked into the dorm to find a mess of papers scattered over the carpeted floor. With confusion, he looked over at Tony, who was scrambling like a mad man, throwing worksheets and essays all over the place.

"Looking for something?" He asked, pursing his lips all the once organized papers being carelessly tossed around by his roommate. 

"My Language arts project! I forgot where I put it and it's due today!" Tony turned panicked towards Stephen. "Any chance you saw it recently?"

"You have the worst memory. You gave it to me only yesterday." He spoke calmly but with a bit of laughter at the wide-eyed boy in front of him.

Tony furrowed his brow, only to roll his head back with a sigh of relief. "Oh thank god." 

Stephen strew the essay at Tony with a smile. "Now, let's get to class."

______

Tony and Stephen were having lunch in the stuffy lunch hall at school. For Tony, some disappointing macaroni, and for Stephen, a thermos of Royal tea and a salad. Tony looked up from his slimy meal to see the wizard across from him sitting still, staring at a girl with auburn hair pulled back into an elaborate braid.

"I think that's the new girl." Tony guessed; he had never seen her around before. "Mia, I think her name is."

"I think so too." Stephen looked down at his salad. "Oh no, I got something on you, cloak," Stephen said, noticing the dressing on the sleeve of his crimson sweater. It was chilly out still, and Stephen liked how the cloak looked as a sweater. With a flick of his wrist, the stain was gone.

"Now how did you do that?" A soft bubbly voice rang out from behind Stephen. He turned quickly in his seat to see the girl with auburn hair.

"I-I um," Stephen stuttered. He hadn't counted on anyone catching him perform such a small, simple piece of magic. Tony, however, was a bit more prepared.

"See what?" He said with confidence.

"Nothing, forget it." The girl sat down beside Stephen, dismissing what she had seen to a trick of the light. "I'm Mia." she reached out her hand to greet Tony. 

"I'm Anthony, but call me Tony. Everyone does." Tony returned the handshake. "He's Stephen." He motioned his head towards the still flustered boy beside her. Hearing his name, he snapped out of it.

"Nice to meet you, Stephen." Mia smiled and blushed slightly, but enough for Tony to notice.

Hands off, new girl. He's mine. Tony scowled in his head. 

"So, where you guys from?" Mia's sticky-sweet voice intruded Tony's moment of jealousy.

"Nepal. Well, originally Pennsylvania, but I spent a lot of time in Nepal." Stephen answered, oblivious to the death glare Tony was looking at Mia with.

"Cool. And you, Tony?" she turned. It was then that Mia noticed a faint blue glow radiating through Tony's dark grey shirt. 

"Long Island." His response was short and simple. He could feel the girls' gaze on his chest.

"I'm returning the tray, want anything?" Stephen asked the two sitting at the table.

"Yeah sure. Here-" Mia was about to hand him a twoonie when she noticed the scars on his hands. "A-actually, I'm going." her voice ran cold, and she turned her back to leave.

Lili was right in telling me to stay away from those kids. they're freaks! Thought Mia as she swiftly walked away.

"What do you think that was about?" Stephen looked at Tony, a bit hurt.

"I have no idea."

______