The Formal pt.1

When Stephen woke up, he could feel the excitement in the air. Today was finally the day of the formal! On an even bigger level, it was also the day that he and Tony would come out as a couple. Stephen got out of bed, careful not to wake Tony beside him because he had only got to bed late. 

______

"See, I told you you'd look cute in the tux," Tony told Stephen. All the alterations were done, and it now fit Stephen perfectly.

Stephen blushed at Tonys' comment. 

"I've never had anything this fancy. I look a bit like a penwing." 

"Sorry, a what now?" Tony laughed, thinking he had misheard him.

"A penwing. You know, the bird?" Stephen stated confidently.

"You surely mean penguin, right? P-E-N-G-U-I-N, penguin."

"Exactly, a penwing." Stephen turned back to face the mirror.

______

"Woah, Nat. That's quite the dress." Clint said. Natasha wore a knee-length satin black dress with off the shoulder sleeves. 

"Shut up. Wanda has to do my hair, so go away." Natasha was tired of dressing up.

"No, don't get me wrong, you look beautiful." Clint complemented Natasha before going to join the others in the common room.

"And he didn't even compliment me." Wanda joked, grabbing a straightener. 

______

"Ta-da! How does it look?" Tony asked Stephen, doing a quick spin in his suit. This was the first time Stephen had even seen it.

"W-Wow. You look amazing." 

"Calm down, we have a dance to get to." Tony teased, grabbing Stephens' wrist pulling him out the door.

______

They all squashed into the car, careful not to step on anyone else, though it was hard. 

"Can I drive?" Thor asked.

"I am. We want to get to the dance, not end up in the ER." Bruce told him.

When they arrived, the sun was just starting to set. It left a nice glow of low light that made everyone look fantastic. 

Tony watched as Clint got out of the car and took Natasha's hand as he waited for Stephen. Then he saw Bruce get out of the car and take Thors' arm?

"Wait, what?" Tony ran up to them.

"You guys are together? Bruce, how could you not tell me?!"

"It never came up." Bruce shrugged. Tony glared. "Oh, don't look at me like that. It's a relatively new thing. I was going to tell you sooner or later."

Tony opened his mouth to say something, but Stephen pulled on his arm. 

"Come on, they're letting us in now."

______

Tony took Stephen out to the middle of the gym, where there was just enough of a clearing for them to dance without being bumped. Tony took Stephens' arms and placed them on his own shoulders. He then wrapped his arms delicately around Stephens' waist. The two moved slowly to the music, a bit of a slow waltz.

"I thought you told me you don't dance, but here you are, better than I am." Tony looked at Stephen.

"Well, I don't dance anymore, but I used to take lessons."

"You danced? Why is that not a surprise." Tony laughed.

"Yeah, I did ballet when I was younger. I really liked it." 

"Then why did you stop?"

"They didn't have a teacher at Kamar-taj. I still have my shoes though, and they fit." Stephen shrugged.

Tony laughed at the image of Stephen dancing.

"Hey, I really quite enjoyed it."

"Whatever. It's still cute." Tony smiled.

______

Clint, Natasha, Loki and Wanda were gathered around the snack table, observing the dance rather than participating in it. Also, the cupcakes were quite good.

"Did you see Tony and Stephen? I had no idea that they were together." Wanda exclaimed.

"I had a feeling Stephen was gay," Clint said. 

"And I would have never guessed Bruce and Thor would become an item. Loki, did you know?" Wanda asked.

"Oh, Banner is all Thor wishes to talk about now. I knew." Loki told them, grabbing another cupcake.

______

"Stephen, do you mind if we go outside for a bit?" Tony asked, his voice sounded a bit hurried.

"Sure, you okay?" Stephen worried.

"Yeah yeah yeah, it's just a bit stuffy in here."

They left the gym unnoticed and walked onto the dark campus grounds. They were alone.

Stephen looked over to see Tony rubbing his hands over his eyes. He was still concerned.

"Are you sure you're okay? We can stay out here if you'd like." Stephen knew from Bruce that Tony had anxiety issues, so he proceeded with some caution and tact.

Tony nodded and sat down on the grass. Stephen followed suit. They stayed like that silently for a little while. Eventually Tony spoke up.

"It's nice out here at night, isn't it?"

"Yeah. There are a lot of nocturnal animals and birds here."

Tony leaned over and placed his head on Stephens' shoulder. Stephen blushed.

"I love you, Steph." Tony teased.

"Sometimes I wonder why I feel the same." Stephen joked, rolling his eyes.

______