Chapter 38

I was awakened in the wee hours of the morning by the sounds of raised voices coming from the kitchen.

"I will pay you handsomely for the boy" came a male's voice.

"He is not for sale" Layinda shot back.

"I do not need to see him to know that you torture the boy on a daily basis." The man said angrily.

"His shit of parents fell to the plague leaving me stuck with him. His well-being is of no importance to me." Layinda said her speech slurred.

"So this is your opportunity to get rid of him then." Came the male's voice calmly.

"He is not for sale!" she yelled "His services are needed here." I could almost see the wicked smile that crossed her face and I knew what she was referring to making me shudder.

"You would subject the boy to such things?" the man asked anger entering his voice.

"Consider it his payment for my taking care of the filthy mongrel." She said cruelly. There was a loud bang followed by the sound of wood breaking before the man roared.

"Here me you pathetic slob of a woman! Either you take payment for the boy or I take him and kill you with pleasure! You do not deserve him."

"You wouldn't dare!" she said defiantly.

I managed to push myself up and hobble into the kitchen. "Please sir." I managed in a whisper collapsing to the floor. "I will gladly go with you but I ask that you not kill her." I said.

Looking at me sympathetically he whirled back to face Layinda "Despite your treatment the boy still takes pity on you!" he roared shaking the walls of the small house, his blue eyes blazing as Layinda cowered in all of her girth in the small chair, remnants of the table in her lap.

"Take him then." She said with a wave of her hand. "I never wanted the little beggar anyway."

The man was dressed in the finest clothing my eyes had ever seen, with black hair that framed the strong features of his chiseled face and eyes as blue as the sky. The man slowly approached for fear that I would try and run but I was too weak and defeated to move much less cower.

Bending down the man gently picked me up as whimpers of pain escaped my lips and the tears fell. He turned to look at Layinda one last time before heading out of the door "May the Gods have pity on your soul" he said before walking out into the night.

As he cradled me in one of his arms he ran hand slowly over my eyes before whispering "Sleep Child." Although my eyes struggled to remain open darkness embraced me tenderly as my eyes slowly closed.

With the fogginess wearing off, my mind began to register the warmth that I felt my body cocooned in. My ears heard the crackle of a fireplace and my nose smelled food making my mouth water. It was not Layinda's scraps that I had been forced to eat but opening my eyes I found a table fit for the King of Hayk himself.

There was roasted pig, duck and chicken, potatoes and carrots and several different soups and breads.

"I see that you are awake." Came his voice from my bedside. I sat up winching as I looked around the room. It was enormous. Only kings lived like this.

"You need to be careful so that the bones heal correctly." He said looking at me with concern. Your aunt beat you pretty severely and you will need plenty of rest to recover. I have employed the finest doctors in Hayk to see to your health." He said.

"Who are you?" I asked. The man looked at me for a long time various emotions crossing his face as if he were trying to figure out how best to answer my question. Pressing his fingertips together he leaned up in his chair before answering.

"You can consider me a friend."

"Why did you come?" I asked as he looked at me with utter confusion.

"You called me child."

"But I don't know you. How could I have called you?" I asked tears forming in my eyes again.

He rose and gingerly sat down on the bed pulling me close to him. "Your soul called out to me." He said.

With that the tears flowed freely from my eyes as I knew the Gods had heard my prayers. I wept for my parents, I wept for my aunt, I wept for myself and I wept for my savior.

"What is your name child?" the man asked softly.

"Alesandro Ettore." I sniffled.

"A very fine name indeed." He said smiling down at me.

"My name is Ambrogio." He said gently his blue eyes shimmering.

"Ambrogio dear, who is this handsome little devil." Came a woman's voice as she entered the room. She was a beautiful woman. She was a curvy woman with long brown hair that fell in curls down to her waist and soft brown hazel eyes. Her face fell momentarily as she took in the swelling and bruising of my face but was gone as quick as it had come.

"Kharis, I believe little, Alesandro, is to become our son." He answered.

Kharis sat down beside me on the bed and ruffled my blonde hair. "What a handsome name for a handsome boy" she said smiling warmly. "Would you like that Alesandro? Would you like to become our son?" she asked.

"Yes, ma'am. I would like that very much." I answered. Anything was better than the life I had been living.

"Then it's settled." She said jumping up from the bed clapping her hands in delight. "Let's get some food in you to help you regain your strength and then you'll need to rest."

I nodded my head absently as I watched Kharis pile a plate for me high with food. I ate the food like it would vanish if I waited too long to eat. I somehow still believed that this was too good to be true.

Once I had finished eating, Kharis tucked me into the furs before kissing my forehead goodnight before she and Ambrogio left the room. With the warmth of the furs enveloping me I closed my eyes and thanked the Gods once more before falling into a peaceful sleep.