Chapter 2 : Memories

An other week passed, and Max was getting ready for her training. She was excited, she had lots of questions to ask to Jane but didn't want to seem oppressive or intrusive. No one could drive her so she decided to walk instead of taking the bus. It would relax her even if she didn't know why she was stressed. She sauntered in the cold weather, trampling on the small white coat, organizing her questions.

She was the first one to arrive in the changing room. She hoped Jane hadn't been too hurt because of the girls' reaction last week. Her worries had been cut short when she saw Jane entering the room. She was still wearing her headphone and her punk style, but this time her hair was combed back with gel. The shy girl gave a quick and small smile to Max before going to the same place as the week before. The redhead waited her to put off her headphone before beginning a conversation.

- "Um, hey, I'm happy you came back," Max told.

- "Why wouldn't I?" Jane asked, taking off her jacket.

- "I don't know, we have been rude with you," the redhead answered with a bit shame.

- "I don't care, I don't like people anyway."

- "Really? Why?" Max asked with an amused tone.

- "They...talk!"

- "Oh, okay...You know, it's the base of the society."

- "I know, it doesn't mean I have to. I fuck the society," Jane replied with anger in her voice.

Max was surprised, Jane was so shy and quiet during the first training, and now she was rude and angry.

- "Is everything ok?"

- "Yeah, yeah. I'm tired, don't take it the wrong way."

Max nodded. She was a bit disappointed to not have the opportunity to know more about her. The redhead didn't insist, she didn't want to bother her, understanding that she might want to be alone after last week. Maybe she would be better during the training. While Jane was changing, Max noticed more scars on her body.

- "Are you ogling her?"

Max had a silent startle and moved her hand to her heart like if it was going to stop.

- "Shit Bev, you scared me!" Max grumbled.

Beverly had a small chuckle before saluting Jane who answered with a nod. She questionned Max with her eyes, but the redhead just shrug as an answer.

- "You wanna go to the skate shop after the training?" Beverly proposed.

- "I would love to! But Neil wants me to be home early."

- "Oh shit, this asshole again! You can't sneak out? I mean, you're almost seventeen, you should be able to do what you want!"

- "Next year! I can't wait to go to college!"

- "Yeah, it's gonna be so cool! Even if, I will miss you and the boys," Beverly confessed.

- "We will still be friends (Jane goes to the field) don't worry," Max reassured.

- "She is mad?" Bev frowned.

- "I don't know, she told me she was tired."

- "I hope she won't be a jerk."

- "She is new, give her some times. When I was new, you all hated me, remember?"

- "Oh yeah, I remember," Beverly chuckled. "But you have a bad temper, and you're so loud!"

- "Fuck you, you are louder than me," Max mocked.

- "Because of you! You have a bad influence on me."

- "Bad influence? You're definitely not exaggerating!"

The two girls kept giggling, remembering Max's first days in Hawkins. Beverly was very excited to see a girl with the same tastes as her but the boys were a bit more reluctant. They wondered if it wouldn't create tension between the two girls. The first days Max was really unsociable which made everyone think she was rude and mean. Joining the basket-ball team was the best idea Max never had, like that she met new people in a smaller context, and met her best friend Beverly.

During the training, Max found Jane more quiet than last week, with an angry face. She tried many times to smile to her or to make her laugh, but the girl was icy. After the two hours, Jane didn't change, she took her stuff and left the changing room as fast as possible, not giving Max the opportunity to talk to her.

- "God, she is in a hurry!" Jenifer joked, which made the others chuckling.

- "Maybe she doesn't like how you all look at her," Max told with an annoyed tone.

- "Calm down MadMax, we just sai—"

- "I heard what you said," Max cut, taking her stuff and leaving the changing room.