Chapter 6 : The exercise

The two redheads were in direction of their basket-ball training. It was the last one before the competition next week. It was a friendly competition, but it was still very exciting. They entered the changing room and saw Jane's stuff at their usual place.

- "Do you think she will be ready for next week?" Max asked.

- "I don't know, maybe she trained during the holidays," Beverly answered.

- "In the snow?"

Beverly pouted and shrugged. The two girls got ready before going to the field. Jane was like the first time they met her, between two benches and listening to music. They sat next to her, one on each side, and Beverly took off her headphone.

- "What is it today?" the redhead asked.

- "Sex Pistols," Jane answered with a smile.

- "Can I?"

Jane nodded. Beverly put the headphone and began to move her head with the rhythm of the song. Max and Jane watched the girl with a frown and an amused smile. Beverly stopped because she was laughing and gave back the headphone to Jane.

- "I know, so much talents is very impressive," the redhead joked.

The girls chuckled. Jane turned off her walkman before putting it in her bag.

- "You're ready for the match next week?" Max asked.

- "I will probably not play."

- "Of course you will! We are only nine, if you don't play everyone will see it!"

- "I know, but it's not up to me, I trained during the holidays, I'm still bad but...less, I guess."

- "It's a friendly match, it's just for fun," Bev reassured.

- "Yeah..."

- "Hey, what's wrong?" Max softly asked.

- "Nothing...It's just, my sister told me she would come, I don't want her to come to watch me...sitting on a bench."

- "Aw Jane, this is so cute," Beverly said, rubbing her shoulder. "Don't worry, if we see that the coach let you on the bench, we will talk to her."

- "Really?"

- "Of course, everybody can have fun!" Max told.

Jane looked at the two girls with child eyes and looked down to hide her smile growing on her face. Max couldn't resist to her cute smile and felt a strange but pleasant sensation inside her stomach. The other girls arrived so the training could begin. Everyone noticed that Jane was a bit better than last time and encouraged the girl by letting her shoot more. After the two hours, Jane changed herself quickly and left the changing room in running.

Will was with his mother at the grocery store. He was working on his Geometry homework while his mother was behind the counter. He heard the bell ringing but didn't look up, wanting to finish his exercise.

- "Jane! I told you, you don't need to run," Joyce softly said, going to her.

- "I...didn't want...to be...late," Jane answered, out of breath, bended forward with her hands on her knees.

- "You are not late, you are fifteen minutes in advance! I don't want you to tire yourself, you already do enough. Take some rest before beginning."

Jane nodded and straightened. She saw Will at the counter, looking at her with a frown. They were apparently both surprised to see each other.

- "This is Will, my son," Joyce said, putting her hand on his back, "and this is—"

- "Jane, I know, we have some classes together," Will cut.

- "Oh good," the mother smiled. "(approached her son's ear) are you in good terms with her?"

- "Yes mom, don't worry."

Joyce nodded and went back to her work while Jane walked to Will and watched above his shoulder to see what he was doing.

- "Oh, it's the exercises of Geometry," the young girl stated.

- "Yeah, you did them?" Will asked.

- "I tried but damn, the five is so hard!"

- "God exactly! I've never hated theater so much!"

- "Totally! Why does she need triangles for a decor!? And this, (shows the book) it's not even a real shape!"

- "I know! What kind of drama is it!?"

Joyce watched the two teenagers debating of their homework and trying to solve it. She was glad to see that Will managed to have a new friend, Jane seemed to be a nice girl, and she saw that Will was comfy next to her.

After fifteen minutes, the two friends finished their exercise without breaking anything. There were not a lot of customers so Joyce let Jane talk a bit with Will. She liked seeing them interacting, it was refreshing.