Chapter 3 : The new year

It was Christmas break, and the party took the habits to spend the new year at Mike's house. They were in his basement, listening to music and playing Trivial Pursuit that Dustin got for Christmas. Mike kept grumbling all the game because he knew just some answers while Dustin and the others were almost always right.

- "It's a stupid game!" Mike growled, pushing the board.

- "Don't be such a bad loser," Beverly mocked.

- "I'm not a bad looser! It's the truth, this game is stupid."

- "Okay Mikey, we got it," Max chuckled.

- "Don't call me Mikey, Maxie," he joked.

The friends chuckled and stopped playing to not get Mike madder than he was.

- "Hey, we didn't tell you that we have a new girl in our team!" Beverly said.

- "Really? How is she? Will asked.

- "She is...not...talkative," Bev pouted.

- "She is new, she is probably impressed by this new life," Max intervened. "And we hadn't been really warm with her."

- "We had been! Not the others but you and me, we were correct with her."

- "Yeah yeah, we didn't really have the opportunity to talk to her neither, maybe next time."

- "Will we meet her?" Lucas asked.

- "Why? You need another girlfriend?" Mike mocked.

- "For the last time, Gabrielle is just a friend!"

- "Yeah, « just a friend »," Dustin added.

- "She doesn't have the name of « just a friend »," Max continued.

- "We all know how it's going to end," Mike told.

- "Shut up, dude! You are bragging only because you are the first one who had a girlfriend, but don't forget it finished after two weeks," Lucas replied.

- "Still the first one!"

- "Guys, we are not a prize for your stupid competition!" Beverly intervened, shocked by their words.

Mike and Lucas both apologized, realising it was a bit exaggerated even if they were saying that in a joking tone.

- "What's her name?" Will softly asked.

They all frowned at him, not understanding what he was talking about.

- "Oh yeah, sorry, in fact I'm actually interested in what the girls were saying."

The boys winced at him while Max and Beverly laughed.

- "It's Jane," Max answered, feeling a strange sensation in her stomach.

- "Like the girl at the shop," Will stated.

- "What?" Beverly frowned.

- "My mom told me there is a new girl working with her sometimes, her name is Jane too."

- "It's a very common name," Mike told.

- "And we are in a very small town," Lucas added.

- "We don't know many Janes," Dustin said.

- "We don't know everyone," Mike replied.

- "Okay guys, I just wanted to tell you we had a new girl in our team, not creating a whole debate to know how many Janes are in town," Beverly chuckled.

- "Don't worry, it's the hormones," Max joked. "A new girl means a new possibility."

- "Don't try to seduce her all in the same time, you're gonna scared her," Bev mocked.

- "Well, Lucas won't 'cause he already has Gabrielle," Dustin said.

Lucas rolled his eyes while the others giggled. They stood to try the arcade that Nancy bought to Mike for Christmas. It was R-Type,and Mike was the only one who had played it. Lucas and Dustin fought to know who would be the first one to try. They all managed to play but none of them beat Mike's highscore, until Max tried.

- "That's why I didn't want you to play, now I'm gonna see MadMax everytime I'll play!" Mike grumbled.

- "Like that I'm sure you won't forget me," Max joked.

- "I hate you."

- "I don't really like you either, so I think that's okay."

Mike and Max began to laugh while the others watched them with desperation. It was midnight, and the friends went outside to do the countdown. They kissed and hugged each other while the fireworks were coloring the sky. The year 1988 was beginning.