Fifty Two: Betray

So the team retracted from M’gann when she showed her true form. I didn’t budge. I stayed right beside her.

“I knew all along,” I said honestly, touching her arm.

“W-What! How?”

“M’gann,” I said softly, “I’m a Teal Heart. Can spot white Martian from a mile away. In all honesty…I like White Martians. In fact I probably would have liked you less. I would have told you I knew…but I never thought you were hurt by it so much by it,” I said.

She looked down at me. ‘Thank you, Hana,’ she said in my head. She then spoke to the others.

‘I realised you would never accept me if you saw what I really am.’ 

“M’gann, did we truly seem so shallow?” Kaldur asked.

‘I couldn’t take the chance,’ was her reply. ‘Being a White Martian on mars among the gree; I endured constant rejection. I couldn’t face that from-‘

“From me?” Conner interrupted. I stepped back as he walked towards her and took her hand. They had their own psychic conversation, when I realised it was my turn to take centre stage.

“Um…okay,” I began, taking a deep breath. “Well, you know,” I nodded toward Superboy, “and you know,” I gestured to Robin.

“But the rest of you don’t but you want to, don’t you? You want to know the reason I…joined him.”

And so for the third time I explained the story, this time managing to only let a tear slip out upon showing everyone Katyana’s ring.

“You joined him to gain control of your powers?” Zatanna clarified, before hugging me.

“Yeah,” I then explained of how I saw myself as a criminal. My gaze landed on Robin and I walked towards him and grabbed his hand.

I turned to the group.

“But that isn’t all,” I sighed, making everyone raise their eyebrows in suspicion, including Robin. 

I spoke into my ring. “Hal, send him in now please,” I asked. Moment later, the Zeta-tubes flashed.

“Recognised; Doctor Fate, 17.” Catherine announced as he walked in. This on seemed to confuse the team more.

“Like you guys with your respective villains…Klarion has been manipulating me, ever since he saved me from that fall…Do you remember when he zapped you guys on the Bio-ship?”

The team nodded.

“Well, it wasn’t a normal zap,” my hand reached out and touched Robin’s neck, where the device was.