Fifty Five: His Star

Back on Earth, my life questions were answered.

The team sat there in shock, mouths agape on the lounge as I stared at the file I had downloaded of my father. I read the file out loud.

Put in Belle Reve Prison in 2005

Name: The Electrocutioner

Alias: Master Sergeant Isaac Raiden Fletcher

Age: 37 years

Pursuer: Emerald Star Madeline Shiloh, Batman

I froze upon seeing the Bat’s name beside my mothers. Before I knew it I was running into the mission room where he was with Red Tornado.

“You knew!?” I yelled, stalking towards him. “You knew he was my father and-“

“I did not know,” he interrupted calmly. “I knew he had a relationship with your mother, but did not delve into it. I did not realise he was your father until you returned with the file King Faraday gave you.”

Sighing, I looked over the file again. “What’s his sentence?” I asked.

“He has five more years in Belle Reve,” he replied.

My hands twist in anticipation. All it would take it a visit to Belle Reve. Wait… I turned to face Conner.

“Did you meet him?” I asked.

Superboy looked uncomfortable. “Yes…but he’s nothing like you, except in appearance. He was…he was pretty mean Hana…” He told me.

“I’ll wait until he gets out,” I decided.

~

Dear Hana, my beautiful flower,

I feel my end is close, but it is fine. I miss Bert more than anything in the world. However, I now have advice for you child. Life is incredibly short. 

We do not realise this until the end, so I will tell you before you reach yours. Life is a gift and the greatest adventure of all. We get to experience love, education, family, fear. Fear is a feeling like no other. What a privilege it is to have it. 

My last hope is that you make up with that boy. I could sense the connection between the two of you. That may have been my superpower all along.

You used to ask me what the stars were, and why the kept stealing your mommy away from you. I’d smile and tell you that there was nothing else in the universe like the stars.

Overtime, I have come to realise I was wrong about that all along.

The stars in the sky are bright; but no star is brighter to you than the one person you love most.

I love you Hana. I have had no greater privilege in my life than to take care of you. Take care of my Jaguar. Forgive your father, he’s a good man. Spend every moment as if it were your last. Protect the one you love with everything you’ve got.