8.11.4

Granger didn't come into work on Friday and Ahsoka could tell if she was relieved or worried. The others looked at her oddly, having known that they did have a chat, right before Granger stormed out of Gauges and Gears without a word to anyone else. She had explained that she hadn't fought with him but did say something that he had not known. She hid what had caused him to leave, though. Ahsoka doubted Granger would want anyone else to know.

Then he didn't come in on Monday, either. Or Tuesday, or the whole week after that. On Friday morning, Fuller called Ahsoka to his office. She finished the speeder she was working on and clocked out early for her lunch break. She took a breath as she opened the door to his office and sat in the same seat she had taken during her interview.

Fuller didn't seem angry with her, but Granger's absence was clearly bothering him. "I'll make this quick because I don't think either of us like this. I know you and Granger have had a few arguments over the past month, but he's a good kid and he doesn't skive off of work for a whole week. Is there anything you can tell me?"

Ahsoka nodded, although she didn't understand why Granger would be called a kid. he was probably about three years older than her. "On Thursday, last week, he said he wanted to talk. I figured it would be about my outburst during the break-in, but he started ranting about the Jedi, and how they ruined people's lives. I have to admit, it did explain a lot about why he doesn't like me that much."

"Yeah, he's not fond of them," Fuller agreed, "no offense to you, Tano."

"It's all right," she assured him. "I'm not taking it personally, now that I understand."

"So he just vented at you?" he asked, rubbing his forehead. "I don't see how that would drive him off."

Ahsoka shook her head, and hesitated before continuing. "How much do you know about his...family situation?"

Groaning, he leaned back. "I don't think he has one, at least, not here. He's trying to find his sister, I know that much. She went missing a while back if I remember right."

"She didn't go missing, boss," Ahsoka corrected. "She was a Jedi Youngling. That's why he dislikes them so much."

Just it had for her, the missing link of information clicked into place in Fuller's mind. Shock froze his face before he sighed and closed his eyes.

She went on. "I met her a few years ago. She died, and when Granger mentioned his sister's name, I remembered everything that had happened. I...I didn't think it was right for me to keep it from him, but I had no idea it would make him skip work for so long."

"You don't need to justify it, Tano," Fuller told her, holding a hand up. "I believe it. Granger's always been touchy when it comes to his sister, even back when I first met him."

Ahsoka relaxed, grateful he wasn't blaming her. "Maybe I should have waited a while, and told him when it was more appropriate."

Surprisingly, Fuller shook his head. "It might have gotten a better reaction, but trust me, the sooner he heard about it, the better. If you had hidden it from him, it would have been worse." He opened something on his computer, avoiding Ahsoka's eyes. "Withheld information does that to people. It's the same reason he hates the Jedi: they never told him about what happened."

It made sense. She had seen firsthand what harm secrets could do to people that deserved to be trusted, or at least, people who had no reason not to be trusted. Granger was no exception.

"It doesn't change the fact that he's been missing, though," Fuller went on, scratching his beard. "He's running out of overtime hours to cover for the week, and he's not picking up any calls. I'm running out of options here."