8.14.2

Anakin flipped on the HoloNet portal at the table, turning it to the Intergalactic Athletic Network. It was the only way he could keep up with any sporting events, especially when he was busy fighting a war every day of his life. Luckily for him, pod-racing was on at the moment.

They watched for a little bit, but it was just the aftermath of a race. Ahsoka knew that Anakin kept track of his favorite racers, but couldn't remember any of them for the life of her. "Anyone you recognize in this one?"

"A lot, actually," he remarked. "They're preparing for the Alderaan Tournament. Every system can only send two racers."

"Are you planning to go?"

He laughed. "I wish, but I doubt I can. It would be nice to, though," he mused. "It's only held every ten years. The last time it ran, I was only thirteen. With the Clone War, though, there's no way I'm getting in."

Ahsoka watched the reporter interview the winner from that afternoon. "Maybe you can convince a senator to take you along. How close are you to Senator Organa?"

"Not that close," he answered. He listened to the show, trying not to think about if Padmé would want to go or not.

"Speaking of," Ahsoka mentioned, "not to interrupt your show, but how is the Clone War doing? It's difficult to get uncensored news underground."

Anakin powered off the portal as the show switched to an advertisement. "Well, there haven't been any more Inquisitors running around," he teased, as she glared at him. "And with Chancellor Kanai's new legislature, everything has slowed down a little bit. Most of the missions are just switching shifts to protect the building teams that have been sent out."

As the waiter brought them drinks, Ahsoka asked, "Are they making any progress?"

"I wish you could see it, Snips," he smiled. "I don't think I've ever seen civilians so happy to see us. Even the Separatists are staying out of the way. Probably rebuilding for themselves, but still."

"When I heard the announcement, I was in a restaurant," she recalled. "When she finished, I remembered the whole building cheering. The new Chancellor seems to be doing well, from what I've heard, anyway."

Anakin took a sip. "There's a bit of controversy, but that's expected, I guess. Not everyone is on board with all of these big changes. A few of Palpatine's closer friends keep calling her 'too liberal' and keep talking about 'keeping tradition'."

The Togruta glared out the window. "If they knew about some of his personal 'traditions,' they might not be so nostalgic."

"Remember, some of them just defected from the Separatists," he reminded her. "A lot of systems have realigned, actually."

"So I've heard," Ahsoka agreed, "but I haven't heard about which systems. I don't exactly have access to that information anymore."

"How is that my fault?"

"It's not, I'm just saying."

Anakin tried to remember. "Most of the superpowers have retained their position, their economies and politicians are too invested to make changes right now. It would destabilize their entire government if they had switched."

Nodding, Ahsoka remembered the systems she had monitored as the Inquisitor. "It's the smaller systems that have been exploited. The large systems already benefit from their position."

"Exactly. The Council of Neutral Systems has more members than they have in centuries," he told her. "On the other hand, the Republic Senate has never been smaller, except maybe in the Old Republic days."

She leaned back in her seat, thinking deeply. "I'm glad, then. If the Separatists honor their position, maybe the Clone War will finally be over for some people, if not everyone."

Anakin looked down at his lightsaber on his belt. "The Jedi Council is hoping that, with new leadership, the tide will turn against Dooku. Without his master to help him, maybe he's not as strong as he seems."

"And all of this will finally be over," Ahsoka finished, looking up at him. "Remember when we were excited to fight?"

He nodded, thinking back to their first mission on Christophsis. "It feels like it's been a lifetime since then. We didn't realize what was going to happen."

Ahsoka glanced, just for a second, at her bag, which had her lightsabers inside. "Ignorant bliss. It's as close to a blessing in disguise as we got."

Anakin looked around Halda's, watching the people passing by who knew nothing of war, of manipulation, of the Force. "How many more people have to die before this ends?"

"It's not just them," Ahsoka mumbled, staring in the same direction. "War has driven up the prices for everything because of the Trade Federation. I've met people who can't afford to go to the hospital, or pay for their house, or just for food. It's not just the battlefield, Anakin. People are dying here, too. The longer this drags on, the longer they have to suffer for something they never wanted."

"And the only person who did want this is dead," he added, clenching his fist, "so what's the point?"

Neither of them answered, and the question floated in the air, taunting them. The only people who dared to consider the question, or ask it, were powerless to do anything about it. 

They weren't the only people it affected, though. "How are Rex and the others handling it?" Ahsoka asked, trying to change the subject. It was too depressing to think about how many casualties were still before them.

"It hit them hard, at first," he remembered. "They don't bring it up, but the issue isn't lost on them. I wouldn't forget either if I learned that the entire reason I was made..."

"Was just to be used," she finished. "Like a resource."

Anakin shook his head. "Born to die. I can't even imagine going through that."

A squad of clones ran past the window, and Ahsoka looked out after them. "Does anyone even know what will happen to them when the war ends? It's not as if Kamino will just accept them back."

"Hell if I know, Snips." He stared at her quizzically. "You never used to ask questions like this, you know."

"I didn't think I could ask questions like this," she admitted. "Not before."

The Jedi smiled at his old apprentice. "It's nice to get away from everything. Even just for a while."

Ahsoka grinned back. "Don't let Obi-Wan hear you say that."

"Why do you think I'm here?" He asked, before noticing the waiter coming back. "That, and the food. I'm still jealous about that."

"Hey, if you can find a time to come down and visit, you're more than welcome to stay for dinner," she offered. "Until then, enjoy your rations, General."