It was you

Grayson doesn't answer my question as he sits up and stares into the fire.

I don't press him though knowing I have no right to demand things of him. No right at all.

How much do you remember about right after the accident?" He asks gazing deep into the fire as if the flames had prompted his question. 

"Umm I dunno....  random bits I guess, but there are bits missing too so it doesn't always make sense" I shrug as I run my hand through the soft pale Brugge sand at the edge of the blanket.

"Tell me what you remember" Grayson encourages me gently

"I was begging Tommy to help me cos I told him that I was stuck..... I remember him crawling out of the car with blood all over him then the sound of his footsteps as he ran away....  I was screaming for him to come back.........Then there was this sudden heat, like it was creeping up on me like I was being engulfed in invisible flames even though the real ones had not reached me yet. I really thought I was going to die!" I pause to contemplate that thought and fight the crippling fear that sometimes takes over before more memories hit me.

"It's okay carry on" he nods softly watching me closely in a kind way showing his support.

"But then someone was there like an angel appearing out of nowhere, they were screaming my name.... they sounded so scared as they pulled me out of the wreckage and got me to safety....'they kept screaming 'Mads Mads'" I utter suddenly turning to him to see his shocked expression. " it was you" I gasp as a wealth of emotions hit me. Realisation. Shock. Surprise. Safety. Security. Grayson saved me.

The fire chief told my dad that ten seconds more and I've of gone up in flames with the car. The crash had damaged the gas tank and fuel was leaking everywhere. A spark set the fuel a light and the car went up in a smoking inferno. Nobody could have survived. But they had no idea who had saved me. But it's always him that saves me, he appears out of nowhere like an angel and takes me in his arms. It's always been him.

"Yeh it was me. I didn't know how to tell you. Everyone was beating themselves up about letting Tommy near you in the first place that night. Your dad blamed himself so badly it was eating him up. Dylan and Hunter were a mess. I was just so worried, You were in a coma just laying there looking so damned fragile. I just wanted you back and to be okay. But I'm not an angel Mads" Grayson draws heavy breathes with every word clearly finding it hard to recall. The pain of the memories etched on the frown on his face.

"You're my angel" I reach out and stroke his cheek trying to relax and sooth the hurt he is feeling. I move sideways slightly so that our legs are against each other. I take his strong large hand in mine unable to stop myself from touching him.

"seeing as though you have been keeping secrets from me, Is there anything else you need to tell me?" I ask wondering what else this man has done for me without me even knowing. I know how protective him, Hunter and my brothers have always been so I have a feeling he has some confessions to tell me. His deer in the  headlights look gives him away.

"Honestly? There's so much I need to tell you. I'm not proud of some of the stuff either but I can't change the past" It's clear he isn't that comfortable with this topic and he holds my hand tightly as if he fears I'll run away once I hear him out.

"Hey, like you said you can't change the past so just tell me!" I prompt him running my thumb over his hand to show my affection.

"Ok where to start.. yeh so umm that guy you were going to go to the senior prom with, I don't know, Clark, Chris.. whatever"

"Cole?" I correct him my eyes pricking up at the sound of his voice.

He was the captain of the football team, a year older than me and an absolute dream. Every girl wanted him and he chased me for weeks to go to his senior prom with him. Eventually I agreed and I git a beautiful dress, I was so excited. Then he didn't show up but Dylan came in his place. No explanation, no excuse nothing. Cole avoided me after that. I always thought it was odd but I'm nothing special  so I was punching way above my average anyway.