Chapter 49- The Execution

Camp Magic's execution methods were way better than Castor's.

It was the day after the court session. Chase was in a separate room with all glass walls. A white dentist-looking chair was in the center of the room.

The only other furniture was a table with a syringe, a vial of purple liquid, and an antiseptic wipe sitting on it.

Chase stood, pacing in the locked room. The room had glass walls for viewing the execution, but I wasn't sure they did Chase any good.

He walked over to face me on the other side of the glass. "A-are you okay?" I asked. I regretted the question as soon as I said it. Of course he wasn't okay!

Chase smiled and nodded, anyway. I smiled back. "I was told it doesn't hurt, dieing. Do you think it will?" Chase asked, sounding generally thoughtful. "No. I mean, obviously, it hurt when I was dieing, but this is a completely different method."

Chase laughed and nodded. I felt my eyes burn with tears. "I'm so sorry." I said, letting the tears fall. "Hey, hey, it's okay. I'll be fine. You know what you said about me righting my wrongs? Maybe it's true, and I'll end up somewhere good." He said.

Chase was acting very calm, but I could see the pulse in his neck, beating extra fast. He was scared.Who wouldn't be?

Then, a woman in white walked into the glass room. She said something like, "Sit down in the chair please." And Chase sat. He leaned back, his head resting on a small pillow.

He took a few deep breaths as the woman wiped the inside of his wrist with the antiseptic wipe. She unbuttoned his white shirt he was required to wear, and attached a heart monitor in the center of his chest.

It lit up with every heartbeat, so I could see his heart beating lightning fast. "Hey, we just met, and your already taking my clothes off?" Chase asked the woman.

Even minutes from death, Chase was joking.

The woman laughed as she filled the syringe with the purple liquid. "Sorry." She said, emptying the vial.

I felt the tears running down my cheeks. Rainy came up behind me. "I haven't seen you in so long, Rose." She said, putting a hand on my shoulder.

"You did everything you could, you know. You couldn't prevent this. Chase will be okay." She said. "Because dieing is okay." I mumbled.

The woman walked over to Chase and twisted his arm so she could see the vein in his arm. Chase's heart was beating really fast now.

The woman stuck the needle in his arm, and pressed the plunger.

The purple liquid was emptied from the syringe. Chase's heart started beating visibly slower. "You have two minutes." The woman said.

I let loose a sob. "Oh, Chase." I cried. Rainy hugged me and patted my back. I cried as Chase's heartbeat slowed.

Then, two minutes later, there was a beeeeeeep! and the blinking on the monitor stopped.

I slid my hands down the glass as my knees buckled. I cried, very loudly, I might add. Rainy let me go, and I cried, and cried.

I watched as they carried Chase's body out if the room. There would be no funeral. Magicians didn't take funerals lightly. Chase was no honorary soldier, he was a criminal.

He was a traitor.

To them, he was nothing.

*****

I skipped dinner, lying in bed for the rest of the night. I fell asleep at around 1:30 in the morning. In my nightmare I saw Chase dieing over and over again.

I woke with a start, tears running down my face.