Chapter 29- And Early Morning Surprise

I woke up covered in cold sweat, shaking. I had had another nightmare. This one was about me dieing on my 18th birthday.

Then, I heard someone knocking on my door. I got up, and walked through the cabin. I had started sleeping with shorts on because of my incident with Re- Rainy. I wasn't sure what to call her. I guess Rainy, since she hates Rebecca anyway.

I was glad for the shorts when I opened the door and saw it was Jackson. I was suddenly embarrassed about how I looked.

I was wearing a to-big shirt that had randomly appeared in my trunk, a pair of pajama shorts, and my hair was probably a knotted, unattractive mess.

"What. Could. You. Possibly. Want. At. Six. In. The. Morning?" I growled. "Wow, feisty I the mornings. Great note, I'll have to write it down."

I laughed and he gave me his custom smile. "I wanted to show you something. Now go and get dressed quick! We have a bit of a walk."

I went into the bedroom and closed the door. I changed into my camp shirt and a pair of gym-shorts, rapidly brushed my hair, put my sneakers on, and brushed my teeth. All in about 5 minutes.

When I opened the door, I think I surprised Jackson, because he screamed and fell off his chair. I burst out laughing as he slowly got up, desperately trying to regain his footing.

"I didn't mean that quick! You gave me a heart attack!" He yelled, breathless. I continued to laugh, but I walked over and grabbed his shoulders to help him stand, but the air between us tasted stale.

I stepped back, embarrassed. Jackson dusted invisible dirt off his pants and said, "We should go."

*****

Jackson and I walked in silence. He wouldn't tell me where we were going. I decided this would be the best time to talk to him about the prophecy.

"Look Jackson, I heard the prophecy. And I just wanted to say-" I started, but Jackson cut me off.

"You don't have to say anything." "But-"

"Rainy talked to me. It-it's okay. Well, not okay, but, uh, okay."

Jackson shook his head. "Dang it, Rose. You make it so hard to talk. My heart is beating faster than what I would think to be humanly possible." I blushed.

"I feel the same way. Except, about- uh, you?" I laughed. "See?" Jackson smiled. "No one has ever made me feel that way before." Jackson said. "Me either." I mumbled, getting closer to him. We were on the top of a hill now.

He pulled me closer into a hug. He hugged me really tight, almost to tight. "Jackson!" I yelled into his shirt. He smelled like a plain cologne and boy. But mixed into that smell was the mint of toothpaste, and the faint lavender scent of his shampoo.

It was all mixed together to make an intoxicating, but wonderful smell. I had never loved the scent of anything more. "I can't breath." I mumbled. The boy let me go sadly and lead me to the edge of the hill.

We held hands and looked down at the hills below. "We sometimes use this field for Capture the Flag. You see, there are the woods on both sides, and a couple big rocks in the field. It's probably the best playing field there is." I nodded.

"Oh! Get ready!" Jackson sounded excited. He turned me slightly and lifted my head to look at the horizon.