Chapter 33- Visiting

My mom started crying as she helped me up, then hugged me. I started crying again. Then, I pulled away. I wiped my eyes and gathered myself.

"I've missed you guys so much." I exclaimed, trying not to cry. "We've missed you too, sweetie." My mom said, brushing a piece of my hair back behind my ear.

I smiled. "Oh! I should introduce you to my friends. This girl is Rainy." I gestured to Rainy as she waved. "This is Sky. I know she looks a little young, but I wouldn't tell her so. She's 12." I whispered as Sky playfully punched me.

"And this is Jackson. My fr- my boyfriend." Jackson shook hands with my mom nervously. "Hello, Mrs. Clearwater. I've heard so much about you and your family."

My mom nodded and gave me an impressed look. I smiled nervously. "Oh, look at my manners. Come in, come in!" My mom said as she opened the door all the way and motioned for us to enter.

I looked around my old house. It hadn't changed. Had I expected it to? "Do you guys need lunch? Or breakfast, maybe?" My mom lead us into the kitchen and we all sat around the table.

"Lunch would be wonderful." Rainy said, playing with her hair. My mom made up some PB&J sandwiches and dished out chips and lemonade.

Just like when I was little. When both of my parents were alive. When I was a normal girl.

"So, um, how have you been, Rose. Now that you're a, um, magician. And- and you go to that camp and, uh..." My mom stutters. I smiled. "I'm great mom. Camp Magic is great, and if anything happens, I've got these great friends."

My mom frowned. "What would happen? Is everything okay?" She suddenly sounded worried. "No, no nothing's wrong. Everything is fine! I meant if anything were to happen, well, I'd be okay in the end."

My mom took a deep breath. "How long can you stay? I got a notice you were coming, but not when you were leaving." My mom asked. "Till about 4 o'clock. I have to be back at camp by 5..." I trailed off as my moms faced changed from calm to sad.

"Y-you can't stay the night? Or for a few days? I- I thought you would. I- well I cleaned your room. I know you can't stay here forever, but I just..." My mom stopped to wipe tears from her eyes again.

I frowned. "No I- no mom I can't." I took a bite of my sandwich so I wouldn't cry. I just didn't want to break down again. My mom sighed. "I forgot to wish you a Happy Birthday, Rose, my dear. I'm sorry."

"It okay mom. Thank you."

*****

I sat down on my bed. Well, my old bed. I had a new bed now. I longed to sleep in this one, though. I had for 15 years. Why not 16? Or 18? Or however long it took for me to leave?

I looked around my room. Dust occupied the window sills, and the top of my dresser and nightstand. How long ago did my mom clean my room?

I picked up an old photo of me and my family. I was 6. My brother hadn't been born yet. He was born in December. This photo was taken in July.

I was laughing as I sat on top my dads shoulders. He smiled for the camera. He had a handsome smile. Tousled brown hair. Other women had often looked at him, then at his wedding ring, then at my plain mother in disgust.

My mom was laughing at us, her strait blonde hair in her face. Her common green eyes lit up. She was so beautiful. So happy. I felt a tear roll down my cheek.

I stood up and grabbed my duffel bag. I picked out my favorite outfit and the shirt my dad had given me a long time ago and stuffed it in the bag. The shirt didn't fit, obviously, but it still comforted me.

I grabbed my old teddy bear (don't judge me) and stuffed it in as well. I grabbed my iPhone and its charger off my dresser and placed it on top of everything else. Lastly, I put my old pair of earrings my dad had given me in a small box.

"Hey, Rose, its almost time to leave." As voice said behind me. I turned around. Jackson. I looked at the clock on my wall. 3:32. "I know. Do you think I forgot anything?" I asked, looking around my room.

I was so worried I would forget something and have to go without it forever. "Why don't you just take your whole bed?" Jackson asked, looking at my over-stuffed bag to me. I stifled a laugh as I swung my bag over my shoulder.

At the last minute I decided to fold up my blanket and pillow and take them with me. I really did want to take my bed with me.

"Hey, Rose, um, I was just kidding! You can't really take your bed!" I laughed. "I'm not. Just my blanket and pillow."

*****

I clutched my little brothers shirt as he rested his head in my shoulder. I was determined to not cry. It would only make this harder.

"Max, be brave. I'm going to miss you. Do good in school. Be careful. You know you can't tell anyone about me, right?" I looked him in the eye.

Max rolled his eyes and nodded. "Yes, Mom! I know!" I laughed and hugged him again. The boy squirmed, but didn't push away. "I love you, Ro." He whispered in my ear.

I felt a sob wrack my body. A tear rolled down my cheek. "I love you too." I sobbed.

Then, it was my moms turn. She made no move to stop her loud sobbing. I hugged her tight, but when I tried to let go, she held on.

"Mom. I love you. Mom!" She was squeezing me to tight. "S-sorry, sweetie. Sorry. I love you to." She mumbled, her voice shaking. She brushed a loose hair behind my ear and smiled.

"You deserved such a better life." She sobbed. "Mom, what do you mean?" I was genuinely curious. "Well, w-with your dad, an-and I haven't been a mother to you, and you've had to take care of your brother and I'm just- I'm just so sorry."

I smiled. "I've had a great life mom. I love you. Now, I have to go." I hesitated, then turned around before my family saw me crying.