14| epitome of sunshine yellow

Regulus sat stiff in his library chair, the pile of neatly organised schoolwork in front of him seemingly fading in to nothingness as he watched Sirius clandestinely flirt with a lanky, floppy-haired seventh year across the room.

His upper lip twitched.

Years ago, Regulus could proudly say that he looked up to his older brother, Sirius. He was the only person on this planet who he could rely on for always being there. They lived together in a detached world and Regulus needed his older brother there with him, to hug him when the night's air choked him and to let him shed the held back tears for hours. His brother was his hero. He gave their world something so desperately craved and occasionally, Regulus still thought about it before instantly pushing the thoughts in to the farthest corner of his mind.

The new Sirius wasn't one that he wanted to associate himself with.

Regulus never felt guilty because of his emotions; it's not like Sirius even wanted anything to do with him, a snooty fifteen-year-old who only knew of correct table manners and polite nods to those of a higher class.

He couldn't risk being anything like Sirius. No, definitely not. Mother and Father wouldn't stand for it and he'd be abandoned with nowhere to go. It'd be best for him to not dwell on the unobtainable, or he might have grown irritably tempted.

He was Regulus Black, only son of Walburga and Orion and heir to the noble Black dynasty. There was no escape from his future and he knew that.

Forget their childhood, forget the whispers of his activities.

Forget Sirius once and for all. A brother lost in the depths of society.

"I've made a start in that piano piece you wanted," Sirius informed, holding his hands together on the library table as Remus drummed his fingers upon the cover of the title he was reading, The Picture of Dorian Gray.

"Oh, that's great. Much faster that Binns ever could do it."

"About that. You never let me say my pun about Professor Binns," Sirius realised. Remus looked up at him, amber irises twinkling under the warm light of the library.

"If you're really desperate, go on."

"I'm always desperate, but don't you think that Binns should go in the bin?" Sirius could hardly say his own joke because he kept being cut off by his own little giggles.

Remus fought the fond smile off his face. The pun was ridiculous, probably the worst one that Sirius would ever utter, but the laughs that he tried to stifle were the epitome of sunshine yellow. A golden bloom in his heart that thudded against his ribcage in the most delicious manner. Sirius was an amazing friend and anyone who thought otherwise were wrong.

"That was horrific," said Remus, who still had the etches of a smile on his face.

"But I made you smile, right?" Sirius propped his head up on his balled fist, letting his elbow rub uncomfortably against the polished table. Not that he really cared though, really. He carried his words in a different tone than usual, not so drastically that it would have to be blatant flirting, but it had a slight curl and was laced in sweetness.

Sirius wished he could take it back straight away. He probably sounded like an thirsty freak, for fuck's sake.

"Somehow you did."

Sirius looked down at the table, happiness bubbling within him.

Regulus still hadn't managed to deter his focus entirely from his brother and that other boy. He snapped his head back to his homework, quickly growing irritated at himself when the words began swimming. Concentration was all that he needed in this moment of time, not some distraction in the form of this estranged person, not a brother.